cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best practice document File based integration vs IDoc/Proxy based integration

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gurus,

I am in a project where functional designer is insisting on following design.

A custom program is executed and produces a flat file in NFS directory. Pi needs to just pick the file and place it in other end as it is.

But  i am suggesting to use IDoc or Proxy as this is the standard best integration.

To prove this i need a SAP produced best practice document. Can anyone please send across me?

many Thanks.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

baskar_gopalakrishnan2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

>A custom program is executed and produces a flat file in NFS directory. Pi needs to just pick the file and place it in other end as it is.

if you are just transfering file one system to other and no mapping involved then I would say the current design is the better one.   Just use ID objects to configure this scenario. You dont need ESR objects.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

rajasekhar_reddy14
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Why you suggested Proxy/IDoc integration for this requirement, definetly not a right design. Go with current design.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Raja,

There lot of factors in it. I agree not always we can go for IDoc/proxy. But in this case we are sending files to different systems and all system have their own  format so we want to create a canonical mapping in PI ( in the sense 2 mapping, 1 proxy to standard/common structure  and 2nd - common structure to system specific structure) also we need to consider future systems  to whom we will give the out put of canonical structure. to summarise lot of factors we have considered and came up with Proxy.

But i am asking here for a supporting document. Hope you understood.

ambrish_mishra
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Kumar,

Is PI only being used to place the file from one NFS to another directory on the same SAN ? Is yes, then PI is not required for that even. Custom report can just dump the file on the target folder.

or is it required to transfer the file to another network ?

If there is a standard IDoc available, it should be the preferred option.

You can recommend proxy for the below reason which is applicable for both IDoc/Proxy.

PI gives the flexibility to do transformations (value mappings, routing as well) and is sustainable since it gives a visibility of the data being transferred and troubleshooting.

Many clients prefer to use PI in such scenarios. Depends upon the integration strategy.

Hope it helps!

Ambrish

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Guys , i am aware of the solutions that you guys have suggested but what i am looking for is a good document which says  IDoc/Proxy is best practise over file based point to point integration....

rajasekhar_reddy14
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Idoc/Proxy is better design to integrate ECC system but some screnaiors some standard function modules in ECC generates flat file(eg:Bank FM's) so in this case implementing IDoc/Proxy will not work because to change standrad function module/Reports to support IDoc/Proxy really tedious job.

So using file based integration recommended.