cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

homogenues system copy with software provisioning manager 7.01 BW

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear all,

I will try to copy a dual stack NW system with renaming. The product is an upgraded BW system on source release 7.0 to 7.0 with EHP 1. SAP changed the installation master to the SAP software provisioning manager.

What I did:

Export JAVA part with software provisioning manager in source system

Copy DB and attach to targed database instance
Renaming DB and Schema for ABAP tables

Didn't touch JAVA tables

Now I would like to install the JAVA export into the dual stack system. My problem now is, it is not allowed to install the JAVA part as part of DVEBMGS (Central System). If I select Software Life-Cycle Options > System Copy > MS SQL Server > Target System Installation > Central System, it will install a separate Instance. The Distributed System and High-Availablity System options with Central Instance or Database Instance options instead of System installation will not work, it always detects correctly the DVBMGS instance.

So I can only install the JAVA part as separate instance...

What exactly do I have to do, to install the JAVA specific part to the already existing dual stack instance, to refresh the JAVA Schema?

It is a system refresh, so I would like simply to copy the database with database specific tools like detach/attach and schema renaming method and also the JAVA part with sapinst.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member218805
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Rene,

A system refresh is not supported. You can find that information in the System Copy Guide.

Refreshing the database is not supported. Refreshing the database means that only the database is loaded with the content of a database of a different system. Since no migration controller is invoked in this scenario, this is not supported.

When you perform the system copy, it is copied as a whole. You cannot try to copy only the Java stack of a dual stack system.

In this case you have to uninstall the target system, then perform a full system copy (ABAP and Java) of the source system.

Regards,

Alessandro Parolin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Alessandro,

thanks for your feedback.

I would like to copy like note 886102 chapter 3.3 Szenario A2 MSSQL PRD to NPS. And also note 151603 Step 1 Preparations.

In the systeme copy Guide is descibed in Chapter 5.3 how I have to copy the Database itself, and what I have to do to rename the Schema of the ABAP part.

In different form the Oracle part in the system copy guide there is not explicit noticed, that I have to export ABAP and AS JAVA, there is descibed I have to export the System Variant based on Technical Stack.

So I did the Database and Central System Export for "AS Java" instead of "AS ABAP and AS Java".

If I export both, ABAP and JAVA... why I should copy the database before with Database specific tools?!

On the installer screen

SAP SystemDatabase, make sure that you select Homogeneous System Copy (MS SQL Server-specific: Detach/Attach or Backup).

This NOTE does not make sence if I export ABAP and JAVA and install a dualstack system form Export... If I would do that, the database specific tasks are needless.

Mhmmm; did anybody do a MSSQL database specific system copy for Dual Stack systems?

Best regards; René

former_member218805
Participant
0 Kudos

HI René,

I believe there is a little misunderstanding. To perform a system copy, there are 2 methods:

1. Database Specific method (this involves backup and restore of the database) - see chapter 5 from the guide
  2. Database Independent method(this involves export and import of the database) - see chapter 4 from the guide

If you select method #1, you must backup the entire database of the source system. Since in NW release 7.01 there are some Java application information at file system level, it's also required to perform an export of this data. So, the export in this case will only export SDM and Application specific data.

In method #2, there is no backup needed. SAPinst will export the entire database of the source system and this data will be imported into the target one.

Regardless of the method you choose, both stacks must be copied at once.

Regards,

Alessandro

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Alessandro, could you describe shortly what I have to do to export only the SDM and file system data contend?

Thanks for your helpful answare.

Best regards; René

former_member218805
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi René,

Basically you can follow the steps from section 5.3 from the guide:

On the source database host, you run sapinst and choose option:

<SAP Product> -> Software Life-Cycle Options -> System Copy -> MS SQL Server -> Source System Export -> <System Variant> -> Based on ABAP and Java

• If this is a central system, you choose Database and Central Instance Export. Then, in database export screen, select database-specific tools
  • If this is a distributed system, you choose Central Instance Export

Best Regards,

Alessandro

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sorry for my late response. I was in vacation 😉 ... My failure was to export only the JAVA part and not the Dualstack with database-specific tools.

Answers (0)