cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Future of WDJ in SAP?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear All,

I was about to move to a project were they use Java Web dynpro as a key technology. I have good working knowledge on Java, J2EE tech. and a bit in ABAP OO and ABAP Web Dynpro tech. and I don't have any working experience on ABAP technologies and either I don't any idea about Java Web dynpro technology and its scope in future. I saw some forums and videos of SAP TechEd where they discussed that SAP will use WDJ until 2018 and many advised to move to WDA, instead.

So please share your valuable inputs regarding choosing the career in WDJ and please provide Merits and Demerits of WDJ. I also heard that SAP doesn't use typical Java features and many valuable functions of Java are restricted in WDJ.

Regards,

vicky.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Sharathmg
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Vicky,

Please read my blog on the same topic:

http://scn.sap.com/community/web-dynpro-java/blog/2013/06/12/is-web-dynpro--java-still-an-option-yes...

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Sharath

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello sharath. But it was mentioned that WDJ will be supported by SAP till 2018 only. What it means and what is the situation of WDJ after 2018?

Sharathmg
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Vicky,

People adapt according to technology. If we belive that we can predict future, then we are fooling ourselves.

There was great buzz about WDA. But with latest Web App server, UI5 - based on Java Script and HTML5 is given as UI.

As you see, Java is fundamentally strong and will be supported by open group inspite of it being owned by Oracle.

We need to ready to adapt but predicting technology is like all market pundits. If their predictions would all be right then they would all be billionaires and their followers millionaires.

Regards,

Sharath

junwu
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

within SAP , JAVA IS NOTHING at least for now (possibly foreseeable future).

Sharathmg
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Jun,

Isn't it very radical to dismiss a technology just because we have business packages released in WDA.

Hasn't SAP recommended to use WDJ when we use NetWeaver BPM to avoid double stacks.

Lets not be swayed by media talks.

Regards,

Sharath

Former Member
0 Kudos

Its better to understand the limitations of ABAP as programming language.Its better to remember that SAP Netweaver is using JAVA technology when SAP struggled with Oracle. For finding new way, all need java.Once it achieved, others can follow. If you are STRONG in JAVA , no need to worry, else you can decide

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

stuart_campbell
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Vicky

SAP will continue to support WDJ products like ESS - until the maintainence for the specific product or release ends - so these are still relevant up until end of mainstream or extended support and also beyond in Customer Specific Maintainence (with the CSM limitations) 

SAPs latest products are in the WDA area for example in the ESS area

- so YES - the future of SAP WD products and the future of support will be in WDA - but it will be some time before some WDJ products exit guaranteed support

Best wishes

Stuart

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Stuart,

Your comments developed a belief for me on WDJ.

Thanks.

Warm Regards

Vicky

junwu
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Please be aware what "support" means. Only big fix…no development no enhancement. Sap latest theme doesn't support wdj.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am hearing this for the past couple of years....

Everyone is missing one point. JAVA is so strong and no one can't avoid this.

Its true that old development style is going to isolate from current development.

But new areas like mobile development requires java. SAP ABAP is not strong enough to develop those kind of application.Its true that they will make some arrangements with ABAP to handle those areas but it will take time.

Everyday new architecture and areas are exploring and JAVA is having BIG hold on those areas.As far as technology is improving(This is not doing by SAP but SAP is adapting new technologies for their customers)SAP needs java even if they don't want .

stuart_campbell
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Jun is right in that regard - new functionality - new features - would be developed and released on the current, latest or new release - which would on the WDA platform going forward for some products - it could be less and less likely that you could influence SAP to enhance well established WDJ products or WDJ environment

Also for fresh implementations it would be advisable to start with WDA

Former Member
0 Kudos

My aspect is to learn advanced technologies which could enrich my knowledge on SAP and that can be achieved if i work on the development and implementation projects. so in that case I guess WDJ have limited features, enhancements and scopes when compared to WDA. Then I should decide to change my track to WDA. I hope WDA will helps me to move even to CRM technical projects in future.

Thanks Jun and Thanks Stuart for enlightening on these technologies.

junwu
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

if you go with abap, there will be full of possibility

go java... a dead end for most.

amolgupta
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

There is a huge number of customers who are already invested with SAP Java Stack.

- There are existing applications that need to be supported/enhanced

- Customers wants to maximize the output from their existing investments

In these scenarios WebDynpro Java may still be handy.

That being said...

Only one area of work will not see you through. Nowadays companies want multi skilled professionals.

In my current project I am supporting-

- SAP Enterprise Portal

- SAP WebDynpro Java

- SAP Business Process Management

- SAP Business Rules Management

- SAP Visual Composer

- SAP Composite Applications Framework

- JPA

- WebServices

- EJBs

- SQL etc

Since you are already into WebDynpro Java, use that opportunity at the same time also scale up into ABAP Dynpro, ABAP OO in addition to plain ABAP.

Also look into new technologies that are coming up - SAP UI5

Attend the SAP HANA MOOC for free !

To develop one complete solution, you will need

- UI technology for making front end

- A backend

- A mechanism to write to the backend (persistence)

SAP drastically changes its UI strategy with changing times, be ready to cross skill at short notice.

If you think on the above lines, you will be doing good in the time to come !

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Amol Gupta. your comments are informative and created an exposure and awareness about upcoming technologies. Definitely I will learn those technologies to enrich myself in the SAP world.

So based on your comments I can say that WDJ will exist in SAP. The below link also explains the same.

CD103 Choosing the Right UI Technology for the Right Project

Can you brief me on what are all the cases WDJ has more advantage on WDA and vice-versa, in order to choose right technology at right time.

As I am beginner in WDJ can you please brief me whether we can use all the features of Java like Thread, Swings, Webservices, Design Patterns, Collections and XML parsers like DOM4J, JAXB, JSON and typical UI technologies like Spring, Struts and DB connectivities like JDBC and Hibernate?

junwu
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

WDJ is far behind WDA.

sap is not developing wdj anymore....

what's your plan? if you want to do real sap... go with abap

no core business at java for sap

all these are very much useless

Thread, Swings, Webservices, Design Patterns, Collections and XML parsers like DOM4J, JAXB, JSON and typical UI technologies like Spring, Struts and DB connectivities like JDBC and Hibernate

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jun Wu.

I accept your comments. Many advised the same.

Can you brief me on what are all the cases WDA has more advantage on WDJ and vice-versa, in order to choose right technology at right time.

junwu
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

there are some case you may use wdj

1. license concern

netweaver java server is usually cpu based license, so it is cheaper to get an account than the abap one.

2. technical limitation

before ce7.3, web dynpro abap is not supported in BPM, then you have to turn to WDJ

3.NON abap system

if you are build the screen which will connect to many other system, which is not abap

functionality perspective, wdj is no where close to wda

junwu
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

no future for wdj, same can be applied to java in sap