Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G Access Method prompt several times for printer

iñigo_rekalde
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hello,

We are trying to change our LOCL device printer from F: Access Method to G: but we have a problem.

For example we want to print production order in the CO03 transaction.

If we configure LOCL using F: Access Method it print directly using the windows client default printer.

If we configure LOCL using G: Access Method it prompt several times to select the printer. One time for each spool order.

Is there any way that the system only prompt one time for each time we print an order regarding the number of forms that we print?

We have the same problem with other transactions, but I think that the problem and solution would be the same.

Kindly Regards,

Iñigo

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

aidan_black
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Iñigo,

You can disable the prmpt by selecting the check box  'No Device Selection at Frontend' in the output device definition in transaction SPAD.

SPAD -> Output Devices -><Output Device>-> tab AccessMethod -> Select the check box 'No Device Selection at Frontend'.

Regards,

Aidan

iñigo_rekalde
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Aidan,

Thank you for your reply and sorry for not explaining this detail.

I have tried this option but I need that the user have the ability to select the printer the first time between their Windows printers.

If I check this option it goes directly to the windows default printer, without the posibility of choosing between my printers.

Without checking this option if the production order has 5 forms, sap generate 5 spool order and prompt 5 times for the printer. I would like sap to prompt once for the production order.

Sorry and thank you,

Iñigo

bxiv
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Front end printing (to my knowledge) allows for a prompt (with the user's default printer as the first option, MS Word style) or to no prompt and just use the windows default printer.

Alternative option that I have done for my company:

Create two printers both use method G and only one will have the check box for no device selection.  Go into the user's profile(s) and remove the default output device on the SAP side and users will then be prompted for a printer (via SAP) and then they can choose the method which is dictated by the type of output they need.

I went with a naming scheme of:

LP01

LP02

etc

etc

iñigo_rekalde
Explorer
0 Kudos

Thank you Billy,

I want that when I print one production order prompt me for the printer (but only once).

The problem is that one production order has several forms, so it generate several spool orders.

For each spool order it prompt me for the printer, so for a production order it prompt me several times for the printer.

I don't know if it could be possible to generate only one spool order for each production order.

Otherwise, I have to choose between using default printer or asking several times.

Thank's a lot,

Iñigo

bxiv
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

If your production order uses the end user's default output device and you don't have an output device defined on their account, it will work the way you want, the system will prompt the user to choose a SAP printer.

At this point if they know they are printing 5/10/25/50 pages for the order, they would choose the printer you have defined (ex. LP01) and have the following checked under the printer properties: No Device Selection at Frontend. 

So now SAP will not prompt them a second time and all prints will be sent to their windows default printer.

I have seen times where a business process will ignore the default output device for the end user, if the functional team(s) assign their own output device to the process, at which point they would need to update their configuration data to allow for newly generated spools/documents to leverage the new output configuration.