Career Corner Discussions
Join the conversation in the Career Corner group to ask career-related questions, find approaches to building skills, and seek career advancements.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP module best for a Java Developer having 2.5 years of experience?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mentors,

I am Santu, I have done MCA and working as a Java Developer from the last 2.5 years in an IT.

I want to move into the SAP world , which module should I choose?

1. What are the modules related to technical? Which one is good for me as I don't have any interest in coding but have interest in utilizing my analytical skills?

I have some options :

ABAP - (Programming) --                           not interested.

Basis (System Admin, Network, DB) --       not interested in network related stuffs.

Business Intelligence ---                            Interested(as it is related to analytical if I am not wrong) but dont know about it and its scope in future.

Business Objects  --                                 Interested(as it is related to analytical if I am not wrong) but dont know about it and its scope in future.

HANA -                                                    Dont know much about it and its scope.

Please explain the last three in terms of package, job security.

2. Any other technical module if I am missing or even any functional module which is relevant to my experience.

3. Will my experience going to be count or I'll be treated as a fresher in the SAP World after completing any one of the module training?

4. Does BI require the knowledge of BO or HANA?  In other way do the companies look for a SAP BI having knowledge of BO or HANA or any other module?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

As you are a Java Developer, ABAP is Suited Best as Siva adviced above. ABAP is a must even if you opt for BI/BO Area.

Both SAP BI/BO go together, BI requires ABAP where you code to get the data from source to Business Ware House environment.

SAP BO is the Reporting tool consists of (WEBI/Crystal/dashboards/Visual intelligence/Analysis For OLAP etc).

SAP HANA is a database, which requires Database concepts. For HANA, BI concepts are required.

Finally, If you are planning to enter BI/BO area: Get your hands on in BI concepts first and then get on the Reporting tools later.

Hope it helps!

Regards,

Aravind

25 REPLIES 25

siva_vasireddy2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

As per your Experience ABAP is Best Suited for you.As you stated ''not Interested in Coding''

In Abap you have to do Minimal Coding and Morever it had More scope than other modules

With Abap you will get a Wide scope of Oppurtunity to work with Various Technologies

BI/BO go Together

BI is Back end where you need to map Various Queries as per the Businees Requirement

BO is Front End Tool

HANA is more of Hardware than Software.

Shiva

0 Kudos

Thanks Shiva for your valuable comment.

And yes I am going to join an institute for BI first to get a start and later on I'll do BO.

0 Kudos

Can anyone please tell me the difference between PI and BI? And which one should I learn among these two to get a start in SAP world?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

As you are a Java Developer, ABAP is Suited Best as Siva adviced above. ABAP is a must even if you opt for BI/BO Area.

Both SAP BI/BO go together, BI requires ABAP where you code to get the data from source to Business Ware House environment.

SAP BO is the Reporting tool consists of (WEBI/Crystal/dashboards/Visual intelligence/Analysis For OLAP etc).

SAP HANA is a database, which requires Database concepts. For HANA, BI concepts are required.

Finally, If you are planning to enter BI/BO area: Get your hands on in BI concepts first and then get on the Reporting tools later.

Hope it helps!

Regards,

Aravind

0 Kudos

Thanks Aravind for all the informations.

I have a question on one of your comment. If BI requires ABAP on whenever it is needed then I think that part of programming must be covered in BI curriculum as it is dependent somewhere if I am not wrong . Because I do not really want to do programming.

My question is :

1. Is some part of coding is covered in BI content at least the part which is needed?

2. Else please tell me about Process Integration module. Is this module related to technical? What is its scope?

0 Kudos

Hi Santu Das,

In BI, ABAP is required to Write the Routines, Process chains etc when You are extracting the data from the source to your System i.e. BW System.If you know ABAP skills, you could easily code and will be helpful when working in the BI environment.

I am not that familiar with PI as I am a BI person.

Thanks,

Aravind

0 Kudos

Thank you so much Arvind for your time and valuable advice. Your information really helped me.

0 Kudos

Hi Aravind

As you are a BI person, I have a couple of queries.

1. I would like to know the best tutorial for SAP BI for practical as well as for theory?

2. I read somewhere that BW is the older version of BI. Is the knowledge of BW required for a BI person or after doing a single BI module, a candidate will be considered in a company?

Please enlightened me with your views.

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Can anyone please tell me the difference between PI and BI? And which one should I learn among these two to get a start in SAP world?

0 Kudos

Hi Santu,

SAP PI (Process Integration) and BI (Business Intelligence) both are part of SAP Netweaver platform.

To get idea about all the components of SAP Netweaver and their functionality you can reference the book "SAP NetWeaver For Dummies"

You can enter SAP world with any of the modules.

Regards,

Dinesh

0 Kudos

Hi Santu,

SAP PI- Process Integration used for SAP and non-SAP, SAP integration by using webservices, ALE, IDOCs etc.

SAP BI - Business Inteligence used for SAP Reporting.

Please learn SAP BI and try to be a SAP BI Consultant as per your exp and profile.

Regards,

Shashank

0 Kudos

Hi Dinesh,

Thank you first of all for replying my query and certainly I would refer to the book you have mentioned.

0 Kudos

Hi Shashanka,

Thanks for having your time to decide and suggest a specific module as per my exp and yes I would surely go for the SAP BI.

I have a final query regarding best institute for SAP BI in Delhi NCR? 

Please suggest me if you have any idea keeping in mind that I dont want to go for SAP authorized institute like Siemens etc as their fees are too high..

I have two options .

1. Sky Infotech, Sector -64 Noida

2. Webcom Technologies, South Extension, Delhi

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos

0 Kudos

Hi Santu,

Regarding below two institutes

1. Sky Infotech, Sector -64 Noida

2. Webcom Technologies, South Extension, Delhi

It all depends about your trainer experince and ability not institute.  Please check both institute and let me know about trainers experience and their current working companies. so that i will be able to tell you which will be more fruitful to you.

Regards,

Shashanka

0 Kudos

Hi Shashanka,

I have taken demo class of both the institutes and found both trainers are good though I have no idea about their experience. Probably I should start it without thinking much and concentrate now on my own skill and rest depends on my fortune. Thanks anyways Shashanka for your concern and highly appreciated

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Santu,

My post in response to your query may be a little late in the thread. The experts have give you responses and I agree with some of them.

BI is used for reporting i.e. you generate report as per the requirements from different stake holders. It does not involve programming however, you would need to use some configurations and use of some components to generate a customized report for different stake holders.

HANA is a new database from SAP, it is very fast in terms of retrieving information as it uses the concept of in memory data store i.e. it stores all the business data in the Primary memory which makes information retrieval faster compared to the conventional dbms. From a BI consultant's point of view you would not need to worry about the configuration of HANA but writing queries at some point would be required as all reporting models may not suit the business requirement and custom reporting models may be required.

Any certification/training would help you or not in securing a job is a question which many people ask, but what gets you a job is your knowledge in whichever field you have acquired the training and your job search. There are companies that may give you a job based on the knowledge you gained from training and research and then you can move up in the ladder. Having a certification in the field that you are interested is good but doesn't guarantee a job. A regular job search and assistance from professional network would give you good leads to jobs and opportunities. I hope I was able to provide you some useful information. Please rate  my response according to your satisfaction level.

Thank you,

Nagarajan

0 Kudos

Hi Nagarajan,

Can I pursue HANA without any prior knowledge of SAP? (I've been working as a Java developer for the past 2 years )

If not , which module suits my profile?( which modules need persons with Java / SQL knowledge )

Regards,

Vivek

0 Kudos

Thanks Nagarajan for your valuable comment and yes it helped me to know the things in more detailed way

0 Kudos

Hi Vivek,

If you want to start as a BI Consultant in SAP then you may opt for BI and then learn HANA. Learning HANA alone would not make much sense. You have mentioned that you have been working as a Java Developer then you must be well acquainted with coding, so I believe BI would not be difficult for you. I find BI interesting because you pull data from different sources and put it in the format required by SAP. BI + HANA is a good combination.

Let me know if I answered your question.

Thank you,

Nagarajan Viswanathan

0 Kudos

Nagarajan ,

Thanks for your reply

Now I got some clarity about HANA.

But as I've experience in Java, which module do you think suit my profile?

Heard PI and BI both are good. Which one is better? Which has a good scope?

I want my experience to be considered while joining SAP domain .

Regards,

Vivek

0 Kudos

Hi Vivek,

I too have seen people working in PI and BI and they are happy with what they are doing and it seems the job opportunity is not bad in both modules. What I have heard from people is that if you don't have experience in SAP then you are like a fresher, even people who are end users and have used SAP product for many years are considered as freshers only.

Being a java programmer you must have learnt a lot and would have done lot of coding so that experience wouldn't go waste ever. I did little programming in the year 2000 and that still helps me in many activities and while learning new products and technologies.

You have to do a little bit of research on BI & PI, may be attend demo from companies who give training and then take a decision as it's you who is going to get into SAP.

Please rate the response if you like it.

Thank you,

Nagarajan Viswanathan

0 Kudos

Hi Nagarajan ,

I really liked the way you explained to my previous question Thank you.

Yeah . As you said, will do some R&D on those modules. And then will decide which module to take

Regards,

Vivek

0 Kudos

You are welcome Vivek. I would be happy to see you trained and with a job soon.

Good luck.

Nagarajan Viswanathan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi , even I've been working as a Java developer for the past 2 years and wanna move into SAP domain.

Heard HANA is the best module for technical guys.

Below are my questions

1. Which is the best HANA training center in Bangalore?

2. How much salary 1 can expect in Bangalore?