cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP Host Control and SMD Agents installed with Installation Server

Former Member
0 Kudos

There are some manual configuration steps for these agents.  I have been installing manually for the initial installation and I was wondering if the SLDREG steps and the Diagnostic Agent handshake could be scripted with the SAP Installation Server. I am focusing on our Wintel Server's first as I have a large hardware refresh coming up.  I know Solution Manager  7.1 SP 7 will automatically update once each is authenticated.  Has anyone tried this?  It will save me about 10 minutes per server and weed out the human error factor.  I am looking for the switch variables so I can create a self installing package for these agents.

Cheers,

Dan Mead

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

bxiv
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

C:\Program Files\sapinst_instdir\SMD_NW730\INSTALL\STANDALONE\SMD\INST\inifile.xml

That file is the file that holds all of your configuration options when you installed the SMD agent with sap inst.  I use it to control the install process and the only thing I have to do is click 'next' for all my options; passwords are also stored in the file but not as plain text from what I can tell.

You would place it in the following location:

\SMD730_00_IM_WINDOWS_X86_64\NW07\WEBAS\IND\inifile.xml

You could take it a step further and code something in vbscript, autoIT, code of choice to click the next button for you to automate it. 

I suppose it could be possible to also create a msi package from it, if you had some form of msi recorder software installed, and then deploy it via active directory.

For your Wintel servers, the inifile should still work, but the script/msi idea would not..unless you can kick off the sap installer gui from Windows, then the script would still work.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Billy,

I presume this inifile.xml file is created from first manual installation.  Kind of like the end result of SUM for a full DVD installation?

Cheers,

Dan Mead

bxiv
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You are correct, you have to do at least one to generate it.

I would also recommend only using an inifile.xml if they are the same release of the SMD, for example don't use a 711 SMD xml file for a 730 installation.

Or if you change to a new SolMan system and change passwords/hostname/instance number that would also impact your xml.

However for hostname/instance number I would just run through the xml and do a 'ctrl h' and replace all of the old info with the new info (same process as a stack.xml file for upgrades) and save myself from doing a new SMD install just to get the newer inifile to generate.

Answers (0)