cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

System did not start after applying SAPCPE, note 1632754

christoph_ostrop
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

after Kernel-Update 700 to 720_EXT PL-428 (note 1636252)

and after applying SAPCPE (note 1632754)

the system did not start:

=================================================

Could not open the ICU common library.                                      

The following files must be in the path described by                     

the environment variable "LIBPATH":                                      

libicuuc40.a, libicudata40.a, libicui18n40.a [nlsui0.c 1544] pid = 8516  

LIBPATH is currently set to /usr/sap/EXE/SYS/exe/run:/usr/sap/EXE/hdbclient:/

sapdb/clients/EXE/lib/lib64:/sapdb/clients/EXE/lib  [nlsui0.c 1547] pid = 8516                                                                           

=================================================

what to do?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Mr. Ostrop,

the note 1636252 is correct and you did everything correctly by following this note step-by-step. The note explicitly tells to in 4.3.5 to apply ALL patches (and not only SAPEXE and SAPEXEDB) by one call to the APYSIDKRN command in MODE(*FULLY). As a result of this command, your central directory /sapmnt/EXE/exe should be well populated with many programs.

You are telling that the system does not start - I'd like to re-word this by saying that one or more instances did not start. The instances do not get their programs from /sapmnt/EXE/exe when SAPCPE is enabled but from /usr/sap/EXE/<instance>/exe. I assume that in your case the global /sapmnt/EXE/exe was correct, but the local /usr/sap/EXE/<instance>/exe did only contain a few programs - too few to start the instance. This problem was reported some time ago to SAP, but only recently did we find the cause for this incomplete program directory. We are currently testing a patch to prevent this situation and are confident to provide an ILE patch in calendar week 26.

The corresponding SAP note is 1873177 - currently invisible to customers, but it will be published soon.

Best regards,

B. Wolf, SAP AG

christoph_ostrop
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

maybe this is a corresponding issue

http://scn.sap.com/thread/3397767

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

christoph_ostrop
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

i opened a support-ticket for this:  the answer from sap-support:

"This issue is caused by an incomplete kernel installation.

The kernel directory /sapmnt/exe/exe only contains a few execuatbles, but most are missing.

From /sapmnt/exe/patches/log it looks like you didimplement some patches with APYSIDKRN in *FULLY mode.

This is not correct.

You first should only apply SAPEXE and SAPEXEDB in *FULLY mode

and in a second step you can apply all remaining patches in *ADD mode of APYSIDKRN.

Otherwise the executables comming with SAPEXE and SAPEXEDB gets deleted and then kernel is incomplete."

so, the description step-by-step in sap-note 1636252 is wrong,

i did as described in 4.3. IBM-i:

5. Apply all archives in <newkernel> simultaneously to the system:

APYSIDKRN SID(<SAPSID>) ARCHIVES('<newkernel>/*') SAVSAR(*NONE) MODE(*FULLY) CHGENV(*NO) UPDAPAR(*NO)

so you have to devide point-5 in 2 steps and maintain 2 different directorys:

APYSIDKRN SID(<SAPSID>) ARCHIVES('<newkernel-fully>/*') SAVSAR(*NONE) MODE(*FULLY) CHGENV(*NO) UPDAPAR(*NO)

and

APYSIDKRN SID(<SAPSID>) ARCHIVES('<newkernel-add>/*') SAVSAR(*NONE) MODE(*ADD) CHGENV(*NO) UPDAPAR(*NO)

0 Kudos

Hi Christoph,

Are there any libicu* objects in your kernel directory? If they have the wrong version, like libicudata34.a you may have deployed a mixture of 720_REL and 720_EXT_REL packages.

Regards,

Thomas

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Christoph,

I'm guessing something happened when SAPCPE copied the kernel.

Can you check the SAPCPE logs in your environment work directory. If it has errors you can past the errors here and I might be able to help.

SAPCPE used *.lst files in the kernel directory to determent what needs to be copied, so you might want to go through the copy process manually to figure out where it's going astray.

Here is a link with some useful info regarding SAPCPE:

http://scn.sap.com/message/14000930#14000930

Not sure if any of this helps, but give that a try and let me know how it does.

Regards,

Yannick C.