cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restriction of batch change with plant

0 Kudos

Hi!

We will change our batch level from plant to material, standard in newer SAP systems.

So, the batch itself loses connection to the plant.

Requirement is: change of the batch data (e.g. expiry date) shall only be possible in the

plant were the batch was created.

In our case the batches are usually created out of a logistic process and therefore have a

connection to a plant. If a batch is created via MSC1N (which we might forbid) than we

have to wait until a material document with this batch is posted.

I don't have a system with batch level material available, so I can't test anything.

Thanks!

Horst

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member42743
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Sorry.  Once you move to the material batch level you will not be able to restrict changes to a batch based on plant.  Who ever has MSC2N will basically be able to change any batch in the system.  I usually recommend that MSC2n be limited to a few people at a plant, usually some one in a fairly high QA role.  If processes are going as they should, MSC2n should not be needed in the course of day to day business.

MSC1n should only be given to very small handful of people.  Under most normal SAP business processes, there should be no need for MSC1n.  It is usually only used to fix something that went wrong.

FF

0 Kudos

Thanks for the answer!

It's clear that a direct check of the batch-plant-relation is not possible, 'cause the batch itself has no bonding to the plant anymore. But as you said, usually the batch will be created out of a logistic process. In these cases the batch is linked to a process order or a material document and they always come with a plant.

So, I was thinking of enhancing the authority check for MSC2N, checking for the first entry in MCHB and retriving the plant there. The batch from a process order is entered in MCHB with the release of the process order. If the batch is created via a material document than MCHB has to be filled at the same time.

I have a hard time believing that no one has done anything like that before.

Horst

former_member42743
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Even when you switch to the material level, the MCHA record is still created.  You could check there as well for the earliest created date. (MCHA-ERSDA).

I imagine someone has done it.  But I think most folks think the payback is minimum and the risk is minimum if you control access to MSC1n and MSC2n to start with.  Many places like to have people in different plants be able to do the changes since often times in lean manufacturing operations there is usually only one lab manager or QA person per site allowed to make changes in MSC2n.  This allows people to cross-support folks when they go on vacation or are out sick or in training, etc... 

It is typically more important to make sure that the backup person is authorized and trained in the role than to be resident at the plant.  I.e. you don't want a lab manager to be backed up by a production manager or a production supervisor.  That can happen since often times production laboratories report upward through production.  A clear violation.  But being backed up by a trained QA person at another plant is more acceptable.

You can also wind up with issues with various production processes.  One example is drop shipments or third party manufacturers.  These products often arrive for the first time in a warehouse or third party distribution site.  You'd then have to give people access to these sites.  Since two plants might use the same third party site you now have to give two non-resident people access to the third site products.  Which would allow them to make changes to products/batches that they do not  "own".  Which kind of defeats your initial goal.

One of the reasons SAP is so role focused.

FF