cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Doubt on Netweaver 7.0 system copy guide

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Experts,

I'm planning to migrate a SAP ERP 6.0 SPS 6 (so this release is even earlier than SR1 if I understand correctly). The platform is Windows x86_64 on a Oracle database. The source system is Windows 2003 and I'd like to migrate to Windows 2008 R2.

Usually a migration is no big deal, it's just a system copy. But this time for this system I have a doubt because I looked for a System Copy guide relevant to this system and I can't find it. I can only find this guide: http://service.sap.com/~form/sapnet?_SHORTKEY=01100035870000670917&_SCENARIO=01100035870000000202&_O... . This is for the system copy with SWPM 1.0, but it says at page 5 it's relevant only for Netweaver 7.0 SR3 and higher.

I've also found note https://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/926085 which is for Netweaver 7.0 SR1: it says it's now outdated and the guide it refers to is no more available.

I'm a bit surprised because NW 7.0 ABAP should be supported up to the year 2020, regardless of SPS, if I understand correctly what the PAM says.

So my question is: can I copy my system following the above mentioned guide? If no, what is the supported system copy procedure for this kind of system? Where do I find the documentation?

Thanks, kind regards.

--

M

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member188883
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Marcello,

1) Simplest method would be to use SWPM to install a new SAP system on SR3 on Windows 2008 R2 .

2) Perform backup of SAP system on Windows 2003

3) Perform restore of this backup on Windows 2008 R2.

4) Perform recovery of the SAP system on Windows 2008 R2.

5) Start the database and application.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Deepak Kori

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Deepak Kori,

thanks for your reply. I have a few questions:

1) It's not very clear to me what you mean in step 4. Is it what SAP calls "Follow-up activities" in its docs?

2) This would work if the destination system's ID is the same as the source, let's say, from PRD to PRD. What if I need to copy the source system to a different SID, for example from PRD to DEV? When I do step 3, the destination system would have the same ID as the source, how can I change it?

3) Would this work if the source system uses Oracle 10.2.0.2 and the destination uses 10.2.0.5 (this is the minimum Oracle release that is supported on Win 2008 R2 according to the PAM)?

Also, final cosideration: my guess is this procedure is not officially supported by SAP, is it?

Thanks again, kind regards.

--

M

former_member188883
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Marcello,

1) Follow up activities are referred to as post installation activities or post recovery activities as mentioned by step 4 in my response

2) You can build target system with different SID using the method explained

3) Yes it will work and is supported by SAP. In your scenario post restoration, you may need to start the database in upgrade mode using "startup upgrade".

Execture catupgrd.sql script. This is required as your target database version is different from source database version.

4) As explained before , you need to install target database using SWPM with ECC 6.0 SR3. Then perform restore of the database from source.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Deepak Kori

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Marcello,

Ans -1 After every system copy/refresh you need to perform follow up activities like installing licenses, Adjusting transport routes, profiles parameters, logon groups. These are called as follow up activities. What Deepak was mentioning is when you take an online backup + archives. You need to recover the system in the target. That is meant to be recovery.

Ans -2 Yes. You can do this for both PRD -> PRD and PRD -> DEV, When the target SID changes. You need to edit the control file and bring up the system with new target SID after the restore. This control file you need to backup to trace in the source which will be in readable format.

Ans -3 It won't work if you backup with version 10.2.0.2 and restore to 10.2.0.5 . in the target you need to bring up the system with version 10.2.0.2 and then upgrade the database to the patchset 10.2.0.5

This procedure is used vastly and you can use it.

Thanks,

Jagadish.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Nibu
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Mancini,

When you go to the software downloads area ,check SWPM ,  2 SWPM versions you can see ,

use 70SWPM10SP02_3-20009702.sar (Software Provisioning Manager 1.0 SP2 for NW 7.0x) , this will have an option for your products system copy .  Then proceed with either R3load (export/import) or DB restore method , I recommend  DB restore as its faster .

Documentation for system copy you can find at Installation and Upgrade Guides > ERP 6 > Installation > Copying Systems based on...

Regards,

Nibu Antony

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Antony,

Nibu Antony wrote:

Documentation for system copy you can find at Installation and Upgrade Guides > ERP 6 > Installation > Copying Systems based on...

That's where I looked, the only guide I can find is "Copying Systems Based on NW 7.0 / 7.0 EHPs-SW Prov. Mgr. 1.0" , that's the one I posted in my original post. If you look in it, at page 5 you'll find that it says it's relevant for Netweaver 7.0 SR3 and above. See this screenshot:

My Netweaver is less than SR1. That's why I posted this message in the first place.

Thanks, kind regards.

--

M

Nibu
Contributor
0 Kudos

I would suggest  you to run the SWPM tool , and check whether the option for your system is available . If Option is there , you can go ahead , there wont be any much difference . As you may experience ,  SAP always confuses with the naming conventions . If SWPM tool not giving you he option, better raise an OSS , ask them for relevant inst master, which might be archived , and they will provide you the link.

Regards,

Nibu Antony