cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to edit already created view in SAP HANA

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello All,

In SAP HANA studio I have created a view graphically under a schema based on requirement. But now there is a requirement to add some more fields to this view. I tried to edit the view but I did not get any option to edit the view graphically.

Note:- This is a simple view not any attribute/analytic/calculation view.

Thanks & BR,

RD

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

henrique_pinto
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

This is exactly why SAP recommends using the HANA Development artifacts instead of creating it directly in SQL Console, i.e. using the SAP HANA Development perspective in HANA Studio and creating a .hdbview file in a project shared against a package in some HANA Repository. This way, you'd be able to change and reactivate your procedures, transport them to QAS/PRD without having to manually rerun SQL commands etc.

Best regards,

Henrique.

former_member184768
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Henrique,

I think this is possible (use of HANA repository) only when you have 64 bit OS as of now.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but if this is correct then there is no alternative to drop and create. Secondly what stops SAP from providing ALTER VIEW command. When there is ALTER TABLE, why not ALTER VIEW

Regards,

Ravi

henrique_pinto
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Indeed it is only available in 64bits, which doesn't mean it can't be the preferred option.

The fact it's not available in 32bit doesn't say it can't be used, it just states SAP understands 32bit systems are legacy and would rather invest time into developing new functionalities than porting regi to 32 bits (though I'm pretty sure it'll be there in SPS6).

former_member184768
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks Henrique, I am eagerly waiting for the 32 bit regi.exe to be released.

Just out of curiosity I checked around in my team which consists of people from different companies and only 2 out of 25 people here have 64 bit OS installed. . It was also installed after the IT department mentioned to them that they might face issues with some of the software applications installed.

So legacy is currently the standard.

But still, I will prefer ALTER VIEW option.

Regards,

Ravi

henrique_pinto
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yes, "legacy" depends from company to company.

former_member184768
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Rajib,

If I understand correctly, you are talking about the database view created on a table(s). You can copy the CREATE VIEW statement from the view definition or generate the "CREATE VIEW" statement using Export SQL option. Then drop the existing view using DROP VIEW statement and re-create the view.

I don't think there is any "ALTER VIEW" statement as of now.

Regards,

Ravi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

Isn't it strange that we can not edit object(database table/view) later if I wish to edit it? If it is possible from transaction SE11 in SAP data dictionary why is it not possible in HANA studio? I think these are the basic most commonly used operations in a developers daily activity.

If I have to drop a table/view and then create the same then it is as good as creating a new object all together. This should be a bug. Is there any other workaround?

Thanks & BR,

RD

former_member184768
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Rajib,

, agree with you. The DROP and CREATE is sort of a workaround for the missing functionality of ALTER VIEW.

SE11 might also be doing the same (DROP and CREATE in the background) for HANA. I haven't tried altering the view in SE11 yet.

Although most of the other databases provide ALTER VIEW command, is it not currently available in HANA.

BTW, you can alter a TABLE and do not need to drop it to modify.

Regards,

Ravi