cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Powerbuilder 12.5.2 will not install

Former Member
0 Kudos

We have a Win 8 - 64 machine with Visual Studio 2012 installed.

When we try to install Powerbuilder 12.5.2, it says to install Microsoft Windows SDK for .NET Framework 4.0.

Microsoft will not let me install 4.0 because it says 4.5 is already installed.

What to do?

Help.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member190719
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

It's looking for the SDK.  The 4.5 you are referring to is the framework.  Download and install the SDK and you'll be fine.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Bruce,

I tried but it will not install, probably because 4.5 is already installed.

Shouldn't Powerbuilder allow for current Microsoft releases?

I could uninstall VS 2012 or SDK 4.5 but does reinstall correctly.

I'm confused as to who should resolve this.  Isn't this a Powerbuilder issue?

Frank

former_member190719
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Did you install the WIndows 8 SDK?  That's the only thing I know of that contains an SDK specific for 4.5.

Because, if not, I believe you are still confusing "Framework" and "SDK".  They are two different things.  Most likely you have the 4.5 Framework installed, but PowerBuilder is looking for the 4.0 SDK, and you are trying to install the 4.0 Framework.

You get the 4.0 SDK as part of the Microsoft SDK for Windows 7 and .Net 4.0, which I gave you the link to earlier.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Bruce,

Thanks again.  And yes, I am totally confused.

Did I install Windows 8 SDK?  I have a fairly new virgin Win 7 pro - 64 bit machine.  The only thing that was on this machine was VS 2008.  I updated it to Win 8 pro.  I then updated to VS 2012.

Next I tried to install PB 12.5.2 and started getting the error that I needed SDK 4.0.  It says I must install MS SDK for .NET Framework 4.0 to enable .NET web services, engine, Smart Client deployment, WCF client REST client and OLE support in Windows Forme.   Then it would take me to Finish and I was out.

You are not going to believe this but now, today, it is letting me install.

Anyway, several times I went to MS and selected Microsoft Windows SDK for Windows 7 and .NET Framework 4 which downloads winsdk_web.exe.  I run it and it takes about a 1/2 a second.  I look at my program list in my control panel and I do not see 4.0 SDK, I have 4.5 SDK.

Anyway, I don't know why this morning it is letting me continue to install but I will live with it.  Is this still an issue?

And thank you again for putting up with me.

Frank

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Frank;

If the SDK is not installed properly, the issue will surface when trying to build or consume PB Classic web services or PB.Net WCF services as the PB IDE needs the SDK for the WSDL compiler.

Regards ... Chris

Former Member
0 Kudos

Chris,

Thanks for the response.  I'm sorry I have wasted your and Bruce's time on this issue.

I agree that something seems not to be right.

Maybe it's just me.

For some reason, I can now get to the next step but now it says that the license I just generated is invalid???

So I give and you have a great day.

Tbanks again.

former_member190719
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Well, we live to help people get started with PowerBuilder or overcome problems with it.

I have 12.5.2 installed on a Windows 8 machine, so I know it's possible.

Question:  Is your machine a laptop?

The reason I ask is that the license that is generated by default is tied to the primary network card at the time the product is installed.  Laptops are notorious in that regard for switching between different network adapters as their 'primary' card depending on whether they are running wifi, attached to ethernet, using a tethered phone, etc.  When some other card than the one that the license is tied to becomes the 'primary' card, the license goes invalid.

That's why I generally create a license file based on the serial number of the hard drive instead.  That's not entirely foolproof, you'll have problems if you switch out the hard drive.  But if you do that you've got more going on than just refreshing the PB license.

Former Member
0 Kudos

No problem ... I'm glad to hear that you finally got it installed! 

Former Member
0 Kudos

Chris,

Thanks for hanging with me.  I had the wrong Machine ID on the license.

Hope the VS issue isn't a problem.

Thanks again.

Frank

Former Member
0 Kudos

Bruce,

Thanks for all you help on this issue.  It was the wrong machine ID on the license.

Thanks again.

Frank

Former Member
0 Kudos

Bruce,

I encountered the same problem as Frank: PowerBuilder 12.5.2 would install on Windows 8 only after a warning that the .NET Framework 4.0 SDK is missing.

This did not turn out to be a problem until I tried to deploy a web service - my request failed and powerbuilder issued the missing .NET 4.0 SDK again.

You referred to the Microsoft SDK for Windows 7 and .NET 4.0, but that will not properly install on a Windows 8 machine running .NET 4.5 (did you encounter other experiences?)

Thus I set up the .NET Framework 4.5 SDK hoping that this would satisfy PowerBuilder's needs.

But it didn't work as well.

Now I'm pretty fed up because I cannot start up my brandnew notebook (PowerBuilder is running super fast on the SSD). Do you have any hint that could cheer me up?

Besides: I used the last PowerBuilder 12.5.2 EBF on a ASUS Zenbook (they sell it solely with Windows 8 and I did already play with the idea of downgrading to Windows 7. But this technical messing around will surely cost too much time.)

Thanks in advance

Peter

Former Member
0 Kudos

Peter,

Keep me posted.  I'm still in limbo.  I initiated a incident with PowerBuilder and they did not call me back.

Thanks.

Frank

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Peter,

Not to be a pita but this question has been answered. Rather than piggyback off of it with your question you should start a new thread and reference this one if needed. Your more app to get a better response.

hth,

Mark

Former Member
0 Kudos

Frank,

I managed to solve my problem this way: http://scn.sap.com/thread/3391945

Hopefully this will work for you too.

Peter

en → de
http
Former Member
0 Kudos

Peter,

Thanks.

However, I'm still a little confused.  I have VS 2012 on a Win 8.

I will have to do a little review of this.

I will stick with PB12.5 for a while.

Thanks again.

Frank

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Frank;

The only way that might work (just my guess here) is to uninstall .Net 4.5 (and / or VS) - then install PB - then re-install VS / .Net 4.5 after that. Hoping all the while that the reinstall of .Net 4.5 does not break PB.

Good luck!

Regards ... Chris

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Chris,

Uninstalling and reinstalling VS and 40 scare me on my new machine and getting everything correct again.

Isn't this a Powerbuilder issue and isn't this going to come up again.

Thanks again.

Frank