Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

.PFL files accumulating in Temp directory of SAPService<SID>

sujit_sharma
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Dear Experts,

I'm looking for some assistance regarding an issue on our BW system which is installed in MS-Cluster environment. Below is the brief:

Cluster : MS-Cluster on Windows Server 2008 (x64)

SAP System : SAP BI 7.0 (Production System)

We are observing that some files with the extension .PFL are getting accumulated in \\<Hostname>\C\Users\SAPService<SID>\AppData\Local\Temp, these files are of 3KB in size each but those are enough in number that the size of this TEMP directory has grown to almost 7 GB and this case is similar in both the physical server of the cluster for SAPService<SID> user. I'm attaching one of them (as .txt file) for analysis.

Kindly let me know if we can delete this in case those are not of much importance since it will release a good amount of drive space. Ohh yes I don't have much clarity about what these file meant for..so please if someone can share some info. on the same too, would be great.

Many thanks,

SUJIT

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

we found a possible solution:

We have MS Cluster before the latest major upgrade to 731 EHP 6.

So the Enqueue Replication Service is now no longer available/necessary.

This function is done by ASCS instance.

So we have to delete the old MS service of the ERS<instancenumber> and the problem was solved.

kind regards

Tom

sujit_sharma
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Tom,

Thanks for replying on the topic, in your case ERS is no longer available but we are still on MS Cluster so we cannot delete the service. Tried updating some O/S patches but of no help, SAP too is not able to figure it out they directed us towards Microsoft and we are following up with Microsoft now. Did you face the same issue   ??

Regards,

SUJIT

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hy Sujit,

in our case we are on MS cluster too.

If you are facing the same situation - like MS service for ERS with "autostart" but never get started (because we made an upgrade to a higher SAP release with ASCS instance - and that service remains from the older release).

Simply set this service to disabled and the generation of.PFL files stoppes.

(I am not an MS professional but there should also be a possibilty to uninstall the service - or you can disable it with deleting the service entry in the registry(CAVE))

@SAP

In my opinion - SAP told us the same - this is an error of the upgrade procedure not to uninstall the old services no longer needed.

sujit_sharma
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hey Tom,

Thanks for the suggestion, we pointed out your suggestion in our OSS message and SAP came up with the reply in favor of disabling the service since its been taken care by ASCS in our environment. Now we have disabled the services and no more new .PFL files are getting generated.

Best regards,

SUJIT

0 Kudos

Hi SUJIT,

i am very new in SAP administration and i dont understand fine this error, i have a EHP6 FOR SAP ERP 6.0 and i have the same problem whit you, i have a 2 questions:

1- can i delete this microfiles.

2 how to can i resolve this problem.

thanks, and remenber i am new in this topic.

sujit_sharma
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Ricardo,

1- can i delete this microfiles.

If you are getting the same error what I was getting and the files are similar as I've attached in my post, then you can delete those. There will be no issues in deleting those.

2 how to can i resolve this problem.

This is how it was solved:

Execute from command prompt, command similar as :

D:\usr\sap\<SID>\ERS<NR>\exe\sapcpe.exe

list:\\<HOSTNAME(Virtual)>\sapmnt\<SID>\SYS\exe\uc\NTAMD64\scs.lst

pf="D:\usr\sap\<SID>\ERS<NR>\profile\START_ERS<NR>_<Hostname of NODE>"

This had to run from both of the nodes in cluster for both ERS services and then it got resolved..no more .pfl files.

Hope this helps you.

Regards,

Sujit

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

AtulKumarJain
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi sumit,

As shown in attached file the paramter are related to Enqueue Replication Server.

Please check some more file .

and compare with profile of ERS instance.

Best Regards,

Atul

sujit_sharma
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Atul,

Thanks for your response. You are right as shown in the files it states about ERS (and all those files are having exactly same content), but there is no problem with ERS whatsoever. I'm finding it difficult to understand that why these files are getting created. I'll be raising a message with SAP to figure it out soon but meanwhile I would request you and other experts to comment on the same.

Many thanks,

SUJIT

AtulKumarJain
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Sujit,

It is good to raise a message to SAP ,but I feel you can delete those file any way SAP will let you know about source of generating this file

Please provide solution once you get answer from SAP.

BR

Atul