cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Agent installation on virtual servers

philip_kisloff
Active Participant
0 Kudos

I'm trying to complete the managed system set-up (for the first time, so reading a lot and trying to understand some basics).

I've already installed diagnostic agents on one server V-CL04A, but from the number of red traffic lights, I've not finished yet.

Any recommendations as to correct deployment in this particular case? A concrete example like this would help me understand the AgentInstallationStrategy document a bit better. Are there three more agents to be installed?

thanks

Phil

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi

you need to install diagnostic agent on each involved physical and virtual host

Check the rule 1, on the attached guide in the note 1365123 - Installation of Diagnostics Agents

Thanks

Jansi

philip_kisloff
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks Jansi, I was too timid in deploying it everywhere!

Actually, I did deploy it on the physical server 10.254.254.90 (V-CL04A) as shown below.

But it is now assigned to virtual server V-XP01. I suppose this is simple non-solution manager question, but how exactly should I have deployed the diagnostic agent so it turns the traffic light from red to green against physical server V-CL04A?

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

philip_kisloff
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks for everyone's replies, I managed to install it on each physical/virtual and logical server.

On reflection, the source of my confusion was the statement Only one Diagnostics Agent for each Solution Manager must exist per physical, virtual or logical host running a managed component.

It really was misleading in terms of Boolean logic. I understand Physical and virtual servers are considered as one, except virtual servers are a special case of being in a VM. To my mind, the instruction should have been written as:

Only one Diagnostics Agent for each Solution Manager must exist per (physical or virtual) and logical host running a managed component.

That meant installing the diagnostic agent twice on V-CL04A (one for physical and one logical V-XP01) and twice for V-CL04B (one for physical and one logical V-XP02). The agents had system id DAA and DAB for each server respectively, and instances SMDA97 or SMDA96 within each. Finally, and obviously now I know, realized that could assign the diagnostic agents to correct server inside the set up step.

One quick note about agents-on-the-fly. I was using 7.02 which doesn't have it because 7.03 SP03 I thought wasn't supported on the server as that is what I thought the PAM required. Now realize if I dropped down to 7.03 SP02 and ignored the high priority warning message as per footnote in the attached guide in the note 1365123 I could have used it.

I know, it's not meant to be easy.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Glad you were able to resolve your issue.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello guys,

Sorry for bumping up this thread. I don't know if you guys could check this I posted a bit ago (http://scn.sap.com/thread/3435655) since the situation is similar!

Thank you, and so glad it is working for you, this is driving me insane

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Philip,

From the looks of the architecture you have pasted, its a cluster environment.As Mohammad suggested, using Agent on the fly would be the best bet here (the wiki link mentioned above would lead you to the right place).

Agent on the fly is available from solution manager 7.1 SP05.

Thumb rule is: Only one Diagnostics Agent for each Solution Manager must exist per physical, virtual or logical host running a managed component.

Regards!

Rahul.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

You are using virtual servers, so you might need to understand Diagnostic Agent on fly concept, which is used for High availability environment , where DB /Server switch/fail over activity is in place.

Please have a look at the below link.   

http://wiki.sdn.sap.com/wiki/display/SMSETUP/Diagnostics+Agent+and+HA+Support

You might find it useful.

Thanks,

MTH

bxiv
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I am going to guess that your landscape data is incorrect.

I see that its a dual stack, is the database also on the same system?

To verify the Agent administration side of things first, can you navigate to the following URL:

http://SOLMAN.server.fqdn:80##/webdynpro/dispatcher/sap.com/tc~smd~server~agent~admin/SMDAgentAdminA...

This should open your Agent administration, click on the 'More Details' button, find XP1 in your list.  The SID/Instance Number needs to have the following format 'SMD SID / SMDA## / System SID'; example AA1 / SMDA97 / XP1

One caveat to keep in mind is that you must run SolMan 7.1 SP05 or higher.

If you have the typical SMD SID / SMDA## for XP1, then your landscape data in the LMDB is incorrect for XP1 and you need to change it to Virtual or Physical depending on your environment.  I have noticed in my environment a virtual SMD agent will switch itself from virtual back to logical.