cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Value entered in charateristic

rob_edwards2
Explorer
0 Kudos

If I have a numeric characteristic that is free entry, can you set a restriction on what value can be entered?

i.e.

Characteristic to record temperature (CTEMP) but the value entered must be between 0 to 1500 degC. How can you prevent somebody from entering 2000?

Please advise.

Thanks in advance.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

satishbabu_bodepudi
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi

In the characteristic values tab, enter the allowed range values (1 to 1500)..

Regards

Satish

rob_edwards2
Explorer
0 Kudos

Satish,

Thanks, but is there no way of defining the upper & lower limit?

What you suggest is the way I have already thought about, but there are 1500 numbers to enter! What if there are decimal places involved - a factor of 10, hundred etc. on the number of entries. Is there a limit to the number of values that can be entered in a characteristic?

Is there not a way creating a rule i.e. >0 & <=1500?

Please advise.

Thanks.

Rob.

satishbabu_bodepudi
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Rob

For your characteristic select intervals and in values tab just maintain interval range as "0 - 1500" without "...

System will allow to assign value between 0 to 1500 to that characteristic...

If you want decimal places you can do in similar way but you have to select decimal places in basic data tab

rob_edwards2
Explorer
0 Kudos

Satish,

Thank you.

I knew there had to be a simple way of alowing a range of values to be defined.

Tried & all seems to be fine. Thanks.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

The solution suggested by Satish should work. Here is another solution...you may create a variant table (CTEMP_TBL) with just the characteristic CTEMP and enter these values in the table "< 0" and "> 1500" and then assign a dependency of type constraint in config profile

Details of the dependency

objects:

o is_a (300) class

condition:

specified o.CTEMP and table CTEMP_TBL ( CTEMP = o.CTEMP)

restrictions:

false

With this dependency it should throw an inconsistency error when the value entered is found in the table.

rob_edwards2
Explorer
0 Kudos

Sudheer,

Thanks you for answering this.

I will use the method Satish advised as it is simple & effective.

The whole business of creating constraints is something I need to get into. Not yet created any as yet & I know that I am missing out.

Trouble is that I have no understanding of them. Is there some basic info / guides that you could send me? Much appreciated if there is.

Again, thanks for taking the time to answer.