cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trigger customized email on error in PI

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I need to develop an alert mechanism. Standard alert emails in PI 7.31 (single stack) are not very user friendly to read. We can send customized emails using mail adapter. However, my problem is "how to trigger this customized email alert if a particular message fails in PI".

NB: I have referred this blog for creating customized emails. However, it refers to using adapter modules within communication channel for triggering emails. In my case, if the message fails in PI due to message mapping, I can neither get this error information in sender channel nor in receiver channel. Kindly advise an alternative to trigger the email.

Regards,

Netrey

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

My problem is resolved partially. I read the blog again (which I was referring earlier) and could generate an email with attachment with required alert contnets. Now, I am looking to add email body with this content. Howeve, my main issue of triggering an email is resolved. Hence, marking this thread as Answered. Thank you all for your replies.

Regards,
Netrey

udo_martens
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Netrey,

catching Message Mapping errors is not so easy, because if you setup an UDF for that (may be with a look up) then you know already where and how the mapping will fail. But if you know this you can easily avoid the situation at all...

Here are alerts more senseful, but of course not very specific. If anybody complains "alert mails wouldnt be very friendly to read" just answer: "This is the SAP standard", he, he.

/Udo

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Udo,

Thanks for your reply. When "SAP Standard" doesn't meet requirement, we need customization. It's easy to take hands out saying "this is SAP standard" but it's challenging to find a way out and better the solution. That will achieve, I believe, customer delight. So, I will be grateful if someone still can guide me to catch mapping runtime errors and trigger an email based on this event.

Regards,

Netrey

Dimitri
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Netrey,

I've played around with Component-Based Message Alerting and intentionally provided a message with missing fields and in the message mapping, every field is mandatory.

This is the result in my e-mail inbox:

You can clearly see this is a message mapping error, no error on adapter level.

Kind regards,

Dimitri

udo_martens
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Netrey,

sorry for the missunderstanding; if there was any good solution for your issue, i would have posted it.

Anyway, please try to understand my way of argumentation:

- You have a very wide field of possible mapping errors. Hundreds or thousands or more..

- If you catch an error in a certain situation you know exactly why it will fail there

- If you know why it will fail, it might be more easy and target leading to avoid the error situation at all instead of sending a mail

-> You need to catch errors more generic: This can be done by SAP standard alerting, but you the mail text is kind of weak.

I dont see a solution for that except you leave the standard and invest a very big amount of hours / efforts.

/Udo

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Udo,

No offence meant. I understand your point. However, I have a gut feeling that there must be some better way to trigger an email. If we are sending it to the customer, it should be in a format that customer understands and can act on it. Otherwise whole alerting exercise is in vein. So, I guess it would be worth investing time. Nevertheless, thanks a lot for your reply and appreciate your efforts.

Regards,

Netrey

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Dimitri,

Triggering alert is not a problem. I have already received similar email to my inbox. Problem is to customize the email body. This email looks bit messy. I need to format email body based on the details that the alert contains and then send this well formatted email to the concerned user.

Regards,

Netrey

Dimitri
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Netrey,

The blog you mentioned in your initial post contains all the relevant information to customize an alert e-mail. What else do you need?

Kind regards,

Dimitri

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Dimitri,

The blog mentions use of adapter modules within communication channels for triggering emails. In my case, if message fails in PI due to message mapping error, I can neither get this error information in sender channel nor in receiver channel.

Regards,

Netrey