cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[PowerDesigner Portal] Java error: cannot test database connection

Former Member
0 Kudos

Greetings

I want to start using the PowerDesigner Portal 16.1, but I’m having trouble setting up this feature of PowerDesigner.

1-  I select the Portal option.

2-      I select the PowerDesigner Portal Server option

3-      I select the Install new Tomcat 6.0 option, and use the default ports.

4-      I choose to install a new JRE (default option).

5-      I set the parameters of my connection to the repository, but an error occurs while testing (Java error: cannot test database connection)

I have used the Microsoft SQL Server JDBC Driver 3.0 and 4.0 for the installation, but the results were the same as in the previous screenshot.

Instead of using the default JRE that comes with the installation, I have used the JRE 6.0 and 7.0, but the results were the same as in the previous screenshot.

I can connect to the database with PowerDesigner without a problem (using the ODBC), so I know that the user and password are correct.

In order to check the log file, I have finished the installation of the portal. While trying to log-in, a “not able to connect to server…” message obviously showed up.

As expected, the log has mostly “Failed to initialize database connection” error messages. I could not gather much insight from this file. I am sending it in attachment, as it could help more expert users to decipher what can be the reason for this issue.

Have any of you had the same problem while installing the Portal? What could be the problem with my setup? This is bringing a lot of problems for my project, as I need the PowerDesigner Portal up and running, in order to allow non-PowerDesigner users to access the contents of the repository.

Looking forward to hear from you.

Best regards,

Mario Silva

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

GeorgeMcGeachie
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I had this problem when I switched to 64-bit PowerDesigner. Are you using a mixture of 32-bit and 64-bit software and drivers?

eduardo_marques2
Explorer
0 Kudos

Mario, I had exactly the same problems, tried exactly the same steps. It seems PD Portal requires SQL-Server JDBC driver 2.0, which can be downloaded here :

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=99b21b65-e98f-4a61-b811-19912601fdc9&displa...

Extract the files and then create a CLASSPATH environment variable:

CLASSPATH=....;<jdbc root>\Microsoft SQL Server JDBC Driver 2.0\sqljdbc_2.0\enu\sqljdbc.jar;<jdbc root>\Microsoft SQL Server JDBC Driver 2.0\sqljdbc_2.0\enu\sqljdbc4.jar;

I'd suggest you to uninstall and reinstall PD Portal. During the new installation, when the installer asks for the JDBC driver, use the Browser button to select the "sqljdbc4.jar"  file.

Test the connection, It should wok now.

Good luck,

Eduardo.

edinson
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Hello I began using PowerDesigner, I made a PowerDesigner Portal installation and the system asks me for information : user name and passeword, there are a default?

Thank you

Edison

GeorgeMcGeachie
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

If you're logging in to the portal after installation, you need to use the user name and password you use to connect to the repository.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Make sure the authorization file (sqljdbc_auth.dll) is in a system path location (C:\Windows\System32).

I also created a CLASSPATH pointing directly to the sqljdbc4.jar file as well.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jonathan,

I added the authorization file to the system path location and also created the CLASSPATH as you recommended, but unfortunately the problem still persists.

Thanks for the help anyway.

Best regards,

Mario

Former Member
0 Kudos

It seems that Tomcat server is having problem to load ODBC driver. Try to run "C:\Program Files (x86)\Sybase\PowerDesigner Portal 16\Tomcat\bin\startup.bat" from Command Prompt, it will tell you which file(s) failed to load during the Tomcat server starts up.

My case was that I had to copy sqljdbc4.dll and sqljdbc_auth.dll (if windows integrated security is selected) to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre7\lib\ext"...

former_member182952
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Mario,

Have you installed the latest version of the 16.1 Portal?  If not, please download EBF 20344: 16.1.0 ESD #6 from the Service Marketplace.  You will need to update the client and repository before installing the Portal.  There have been some updates to the software that may fix this issue.

Adam

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Adam,

I am using version 16.1 EBF 11. However, the problem still persists.

Thanks for the help anyway.

Best regards,

Mario