cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP Mobile Hybrid web container app

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear All,

I am working on an app, The Idea is to scan QR or bar code to get the product related information from the SAP back-end system then initialize (write some information ) on the NFC tag using the same application.

My questions and doubts are:-

1) Which approach would be best;

a) Develop the data model in SAP system using the SAP net-weaver gateway and then consume the generated Odata service

or

b) Conventional approach of using BAPI's to create MBO in SUP aka SAP Mobile Platform and then with the help of workflow form editor create the hybrid web container app???

2) can I use QR code and NFC tag API or functionality with Hybrid web container app on android and if yes how?

at present I have SUP 2.1.3 but I am welling to upgrade if required.

I am new to HTML5 or any kind of coding so any inputs or guidance in the right direction would be really appreciated.

Thanks & Regards,

Nitin Jain

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

jerome_lim
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

Don't know why you need SUP, I think it only make sense to use SUP if you have more than 500 devices to install the app and you need offline scenario.

The project we've done is using NW GW and which consume oData with JS. there're many how to documents in scn.

Also, there're many QRCode js API can be used, you shall be able to find one in the latest version of phonegap.

kind regards

Jerome

midhun_vp
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Jerome,

SUP is not meant only for more devices and offline scenario. It is a middle-ware that gives a lot advantage over other ways of device communication with the back-end DB. Few are given below:

Reliable communication between devices and the server runtime to support guaranteed

delivery of and offline access to data and transactions, without imposing any developer or

management requirements.

• Normalized data model for a variety of back-end data sources, including databases, SOAP

and REST Web services, and SAP® ERP Central Component® (ECC) via JCo and DOE.

• Reusable, and elegant mobile business objects that capture device application data and

transaction requirements.

• Integrated end-to-end security, using Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) and Transport Layer

Security (TLS), for both over-the-air and data at rest.

• System security using common security providers including LDAP, Active Directory,

single sign-on, and the operating system.

• Full development support for Eclipse development communities, and uniform

development paradigm across all device platforms.

• Object APIs that support consistency and abstraction from inherent technical aspects of

communication between the server and devices.

• Freedom from the underlying complexity of back-end systems protocols and interaction

details.

• Seamless development of applications across heterogeneous device platforms.

If the organisation is not capable of buying the license of SUP or their requirement satisfies with the NW gateway approach means we can go for that. SAP is providing all possible ways to support the customers to "Go Mobile" by providing different options here. There is not need to get confused on which technology to go with.

Nithin,

1) The Odata approach will be the best to go with since SAP recommends that. If you have any offline scenario means like you want to see/perform operation when the device is offline means you can go for MBO approach.

2) QR code will be possible using HWC but I am not sure about NFC support. If you are targeting multiple device platform and the app is very light means you can go for HWC. HWC apps are meant for light weight apps. It is not suitable for complex business scenarios.

If you go with native app development you need to know following languages based on the OS,

• WIndows- C#
  • BB & Android- Java
  • IOS- Objective C

- Midhun VP

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

david_brandow
Contributor
0 Kudos

1) "Best" is going to be a subjective term here, it depends a great deal on the kind of application you are developing and the skill set of your development team. To oversimplify the decision, a) is likely a more forward-looking approach, but will require more technical knowledge on your part, b) will be much easier if you are just getting started.

2) Yes, but you'll need to integrate a third-party library, it does not come supplied with either HWC or PhoneGap/Cordova.