cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Several JCo3 Questions

Former Member
0 Kudos

I'm new to JCo RFC development.  I've reviewed the PDF that comes with it, and done numerous searches, reviewing various articles, posts, etc.  I've seen contradicting or ambiguous comments on a few topics that I don't see explicitly stated in any of the documentation.  Here are my questions so far:

1. Is a separate program id required for each SAP instance, or can it be shared across numerous SAP instances?
  2. Is a program id only needed for SAP outbound RFCs, or is a program id required for SAP inbound RFCs as well?
  3. Is each process, e.g. a running program, limited to RFCs with only one instance?  I've seen a note in an example code snippet that states that you can only have one DestinationDataProvider and ServerDataProvider per process.
  4. Is the previous statement about each process also true for SAP inbound RFCs?
  5. Is each process also limited to running only one JCo server, e.g. you cannot run multiple synchronous servers nor a synchronous & IDOC server within one process?

I appreciate any insight and good references on these topics.

Also, if you know of a good reference on "best practices" when designing a Java software system that uses RFCs and JCo3 to integrate with SAP in a volume transaction environment, I would love to hear.  I'm particularly interested in performance and horizontal scaling with regard to JCo, the SAP gateway, and the SAP instances/connections.

Thanks!

jewel

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey jewel,

unfortunately I just am able to answer question 3. And that only half 😉

Yes you are right, you can have only one DestinationDataProvider which does not mean you can have only one Destination. That is why it is called "Provider".

On a standalone system you have to write such a provider by your own and register it to your environment to call JCoDestinationManager.getDestination(destinationName);

If you run your application on a NetWeaver you are able to define the Destinations in the NetWeaver Administrator (http://<server>:<port>/nwa) and you are just able to call them by their name.

Of course you can call that function above with different destination names.

And one more guess:

I think it is the same with the ServerDataProvider

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks, Schindler - I appreciate the helpful response! 

Answers (0)