Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tablespace growth for a Java stack SAP system

former_member182921
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello All

I need to calculate monthy growth for all the tablespaces for a java stack SAP system.

I need to see the details similar to the monthly history we get to see in DB02 for an ABAP stack system.

So that, I can get all the necessary details to calculate monthly tablespace growth.

We are using Oracle Database 11g Enterprise Edition Release 11.2.0.2.0.

Need to know the monthly tablespace growth. Could anyone help me with how can I get this detail ?

Anyone knowing any SQL query by which I can get the appropriate result easily OR any other better suggestion required.

Tablespaces:     PSAPSR3DB, PSAPTEMP, PSAPUNDO, SYSAUX, SYSTEM, TOOLS.

Thanks!

Regards

Abhishek

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

stefan_koehler
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Abhishek,

there is no need to add the database to DBACOCKPIT (of an ABAP stack system) just for such easy tasks like tablespace growth.

The tablespace growth can be calculated and queried by using the Oracle AWR. Sample queries for that are here:

http://oracle-info.com/2012/10/15/scripts-databasetabletablespace-growth-report-using-awr/

http://shaharear.blogspot.de/2009/09/estimate-tablespace-growth.html

.. just make sure, that the AWR retention is not set too low to query that historical data (check SAPnote #1326067 for cross-checking the retention period).

Regards

Stefan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

If this issue is just monitoring tablespace growth, AWR can be a simple solution, but in terms of the SAP system management, I recommend to add this system to the DBACOCKPIT on an ABAP based system, such as Solution Manager and monitor the statistics and tasks more structured and easy way.

Best regards,

Orkun Gedik

stefan_koehler
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Orkun,

> If this issue is just monitoring tablespace growth, AWR can be a simple solution

This is the request, isn't it?

> I recommend to add this system to the DBACOCKPIT on an ABAP based system, such as Solution Manager and monitor the statistics and tasks more structured and easy way.

I already know, that we have a different point of view on that SAP stuff, but DBACOCKPIT and all the downstream systems could not be really named as management / monitoring for Oracle databases. DBACOCKPIT is great for the guys who are not familiar with databases and just want to check some table sizes or tablespace usage and so on, but that's it.

Just to mention a lack of really needed features for system management and monitoring:

• Remote Real-Time Alert Log Monitoring in customized intervalls (SAPnote #1212402). Easy to implement by using an external table nowadays - the (local) BR*Tools check is not relevant here
  • DG Monitoring (SAPnote #1364567) - the monitor was just de-supported for no obvious reason
  • SQL Command Editor does not accept all possible syntax (really nasty by troubleshooting BI SQLs)
  • SQL Execution Plans - Why not using DBMS_XPLAN to get the real execution plan and all relevant metadata?

I can go on with several other cruxes, but i guess we should be honest about DBACOCKPIT, SolMan and the other SAP tools for databases and not just propagate the SAP marketing slogans

Regards

Stefan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Stefan,

> If this issue is just monitoring tablespace growth, AWR can be a simple solution

>> This is the request, isn't it?

Yes, it is the request, but by the long-term plan, it needs to be added as a monitored system in the landscape. I agree with you about the lack of support on many Oracle features on SAP, but my point is SAP system should be monitored on the SAP tool.

Marketting is another issue I strongly believe that SAP needs to develop itself to support all the features specifically for the Oracle. I am complaining about it, too. But, think that they are not able to support all the features even on Sybase ASE

Do we expect too much??

Best regards,

Orkun Gedik

stefan_koehler
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Orkun,

> I agree with you about the lack of support on many Oracle features on SAP, but my point is SAP system should be monitored on the SAP tool.

I totally agree - monitor the SAP system with the SAP tools and monitor the database with the database dependent tools.   For example - Grid / Cloud Control can be used in a SAP environment as you already have the needed licenses (if the Oracle license was purchased from SAP).

> But, think that they are not able to support all the features even on Sybase ASE

Really? I am working with Oracle only, so i don't know about other database platforms. It is a shame that this behavior is database independent .. i think the developers are spending too much time in the cloud and with HANA

> Do we expect too much??

A working monitor or toolset for the supported / allowed database features in a SAP environment? I don't think so

Regards

Stefan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Abhishek,

You can use DBACOCKPIT to monitor remote database. So, you can collect and store all the statistics, as in the ABAP stack. Please check the document for the further information;

http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/f0e1921b-32e2-2910-d38a-bce867339...

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw73/helpdata/de/a0/bee5de622046018fbcd109d9be9cff/content.htm

http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/f079d393-a806-2a10-84a4-d821d4ee0...

Best regards,

Orkun Gedik

former_member182921
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Orkun ,

I just checked the SCN links .

But My Question is for JAVA STACK .

What are the steps required to do the same .

Regards,

Abhishek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ok... That's what I mean. So, add the java system on the ABAP stack system, over DBACOCKPIT as a remote database. Then, you'll be able to monitor the Java base system

Please apply the procedure, in the document;

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw73/helpdata/de/88/134e70f61f48d0a2c4af3a6d484eab/content.htm

Best regards,

Orkun Gedik