cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem during BOM explosion

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi experts ,

While , doing BOM explosion in sales order I'm facing a couple of peculiar problems ...

1. Main Item and one sub item doesn't display ... only one sub item display ...

2. When only one sub item display , the quantity gets either multiplies / additions with main and one sub item - like , in CS01 , I give the input for two sub-item of quantity 10 of each ...

when creating VA01 - put the main item and then give quantity as 10 - after couple seconds it gives the outcome of "quantity " sometimes as 100 / 30 .... utterly don't know why it behaves like this ...

In main item's and sub-items , item category level -  TAQ & TAE , I've maintained in structure scope tab - as " multiple level BOM" & SD01 ....

in the material level , main item's - item cat. grp as ERLA , & sub-item's NORM .....

please , advice me how could I get the solution and why it has behaved like it ?? ....

I've attached two screen-shot ...

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Arghy,

This may be a silly answer, but judging by your screen shots can you scroll up? When BOM explodes on sales order it will take you to last item line on sales order. Your screen lines look real condensed. It also shows the correct line item number assignment (12). So by this there should be more when you arrow up on the line items. Is this correct?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sir ,

Thanks a lot ...

extremely sorry ...

I've chked it out by scroll down the whole line item levels n got all the line items ... sometimes , weird / silly answer has made the bull's eye ...

anyway , one more confusion still remains continued - like as , when in CS01 - i've maintained 11 as in qty . While making SO , after putting the main item qty as 11 ..but the sub items qty shows as 110 ... why it's shown as 110 ??

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey arghya,

Lets stick with our first example and work from there.

So if it is X KG Base Quantity for material 274 = (Y KG of 273 and Z KG of 275)  -- When you enter 11 KG of 274 in sales order it should explode to 110 KG of 273 and 110 5KG of 275.

This means that we do not know your base quantity ( X )and your component quantity ( Y ).

Giving the explosion results you provided, you must have a base quantity of

1 in the header of the BOM and a component quantity of

10 (or a multiple of).

You are saying then in the BOM that to make 1 of material 274, it takes 10 KG of material 275 or 273. So when you enter 11 of material 274 in the sales order you will therefore need 110 KG of material 273 or 275.

You only need to maintain one correct example in the BOM. Just say how many KG of components  it will take to make 10 KG of material 274 (Base Quantity). Sap BOM explosions will take care of the rest and do the math when the quantities are entered on the sales order.

If you are getting different results from this, please post again. If you can provide screenshots again of all the information explained above in an example we should be able to tell right away what is not going right.

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Arghya,

If item category group of the material is ERLA then TAQ has to be the main item and TAE is the sub item. Now you try to maintain Structure Scope for TAE (single level Bom to Explode) and try it..I could see the Screen shot as TAE is getting Explode not TAQ, first look at this issue why TaQ is not exploding when your item category Group is ERLA.

Regards

RAM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Arghya,

Check your item category group of the material in material master, since item category TAE is exploding in Sales order, so non of the subitems are appearing as subitems, if you want To explode bom for TAE Item category then You select the Scope of BOM in VOV7 as single or Multi BOM to Explode in sales order, significant of Maintaining Subitems in CS01 is to avoid any qunatity manupulation and to explode automaticaly the Sub items..... I strongly Guess there is a problem with item category Group which is assained for the paricular material.

Regards

RAM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ram - sir ,

In the configuration settings  , I've maintained multi-level in structure-scope in VOV7 

maintained main item , item category grp as ERLA n for sub item - NORM ....

but got the same confusion ....

Former Member
0 Kudos

As for your quantities, check the "Base Quantity" in the header of the BOM. So if it is 20 KG Base Quantity for material 274 = (10KG of 273 and 10 KG of 275)  -- When you enter 10 KG of 274 in sales order it should explode to  5 KG of 273 and 5KG of 275.

Former Member
0 Kudos

James sir ,

thanks lot for your reply ....got the sames o/p what u've advised ....

but , i've an query ... if sub-items are divided into the half of the base value of main item in CS01 , then what is the significance to maintain sub-items qty in CS01 at item level ?? .........

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi arghy,

No need to apologize for your question. I am sure someone (many) else in the future will come along with the same problem now and be able to quickly identify the solution since you have asked.

I suppose we must be careful with our terminology. The "item levels" are components that make up the header material. Let us not refer to these as sub-items. However, each component can be further broken down into sub-items. The sub-items can only be a further quantity breakdown of the component quantity.

so if 10 KG of material 273 (at component or item level)has sub items of:

7KG and 3KG (notice this must total to the value of the 10 KG

As far as I know, the use of the sub-items is informational only. This further breakdown of sub-items is to further organize with external systems, reporting etc. It offers a place to say where there is an installation point. If you had an assembly line and to make 20KG of material 274 required 10KG of material 275. However,  5KG of 275 was to be added at the beginning of the line and 5KG of 275 was to be added at the end of the line. The Sub-Item information can be queried against for the machines, instructions, etc.

They offer no direct functional purpose in SAP as far as I can tell. You should not need to maintain these for your requirements, especially with regards to sales orders.

I am unclear if your quantity explosion issue is resolved. If not please post again with another example and I will attempt to answer.

Former Member
0 Kudos

James -sir ,

thanks a lot for your explanation ...

I can understand what you actually want to say  ...

but my point is whatever I've entered in cs01 as base quantity for main material , that will divided in equally for sub-items in sales order level when I'm putting quantity for main material in sales order level ...

so that no importance for giving qty of sub-items in cs01 ?? ....

former_member184065
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear,

Go to VOV8 and open your Sales Document Type and check what you maintained in " Display Range " Field ,here you need to maintain Display-All Items -UALL.

Thanks,

NK

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sir ,

Ive already maintained in SO - display range option as - UALL ... but , got the same outcome