Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question on regulatory content provider and expert server

sruthi_srinivasan
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am new to SAP EHS.

1. I would like to understand if a third party regulatory content provider is mandatory to load all the specification properties as regards Product Safety?

2. Also, what is the function of the EH&S Expert server and how is it configured?

Thank you.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

christoph_bergemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Sruthi,

regarding 1.) A content provider provide EHS content like OEL values. The load of the data is done by the company (or the consultant working at that company) and normally not by the company which provides the content (but some content provider does offer such a service): the use of a content provider is not "mandatory" but "recommended"; you could maintain the data yourself but regarding product safety issues this is not a good option

regarding 2.) There is an OSS note available regarding "recent version of EHS expert" server. The SAP online help is providing some additional informations; I am not aware of a "cookbook" to make the installation happen but some "installation" routing help docu is available if you download the tool (according to my information)

In any case: this tools can help a chemcial company to "calculate" so called "secondary data" with "high" speed. The content provider deliver expert rules as well; if you install only the server then you wil get an "empty" system without a "use", the set up of rules can be "painful" (without in experience in doing so) like to edit etc. a WWI layout.

Regarding Expert Server: may be check as a start:

http://help.sap.com/erp2005_ehp_06/helpdata/en/b5/3bd1369f2d280ee10000009b38f889/content.htm?framese...

Chapter: EH&S Expert

C.B.

PS: some content provider is providing the content using OCC. PLase check here:

http://help.sap.com/erp2005_ehp_06/helpdata/en/be/826040bc1ccd01e10000000a155106/content.htm?framese...

Chapter: EH&S Open Content Connector

sruthi_srinivasan
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Christoph,

Thank you for your inputs. Appreciate your prompt reply. The information you have provided is very helpful. Is there, in general, any standard guideline on what key factors a business should take into account before deciding on implementing SAP EHS(M), particularly Product Safety? I can see that infrastrctural capability (like WWI server, Exper rule server) is definitely one of them.

Thank you,

Sruthi

christoph_bergemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Sruthi

I believe there are mainly these factors

1.) business driven

2.) IT driven

What does that mean?

To start with EHS you need some basic customizing to be done. Therefore you need to collect requirements form business to do so; e.g. you need to decide how many substance auhtorization groups are needed; which spec types should be used, which process should be supported (e.g. MSDS distribution, DG checks etc) etc. The same is ture e.g regarding phrase core customizing. Either you buy phrases (as part of conent) or the business need a maintenance organisation etc.

IT driven:

As mentioned by yourself: based on the decision of business you need somebody who knows to implement the demand. Most critical ist "core customizing" (like substance authorization groups, "MSDS distrbution", DMS set up etc.

The next step is e.g.: is there the need to have expert rules in place and if so which one;

There is a "Best practise regarding chemcials" available which can guide you in a project

Therefore: if you take a look to SAP help of EHS: from IT perspective you need know how in SAP MM, SD, PP etc. based on the modules you (that means business) would like to use

Keep in mind that some very important strategic decisions need ot be done. Eg. which release you would like to use, is there the need to start with SAP EHS COmponent ExtensioN; Is there the need to use e.g. SAP Reach and COmpliance Suite

Combining that: before you start tzhe whiole thing you need the scope of the project; in most cases a wave based approach is used either based on modules (start with SAP EHS, go on with SAP EHS SAF etc.) in combinaiotn with region (stArt with NAFTA then europe etc.)

Check e.g. http://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-41109

You will find some link to "similar" demands as yours.

C.B.

sruthi_srinivasan
Participant
0 Kudos

Thank you Christoph for your valuable insights! The link is also very useful in helping get a better understanding of high-level decisions related to SAP-EHS.

Thank you,

Sruthi

sruthi_srinivasan
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Christoph,

Is there a strong reason why a content provider is recommended by SAP? As I understand, content in the specification database is driven by regulations, and any change in regulation has to be appropriately updated in the database, which may not be possible in case there is no content provider. Is there more "legal" reason to this?

Thank you!

Regards,

Sruthi

christoph_bergemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Sruthi

using a content provider does have clearly some benefits. The content can contain different type of services / data / products. If you have no content you have to do it by your own. If we talk about a "big" company this is not a "nice" task as you must be able to handle per country any regulation in place. Here a content provider can clearly help.

C.B.

Answers (0)