cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clarification needed for Recommended approach on SMD agent registration

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear support.

since smd agent introduced, We are following SMD agent SLD registration strategy, we could say number of places sap mentioned SLD registration as the recommended approach, this approach is better, it saves lots of our time on maintenance.

http://wiki.sdn.sap.com/wiki/display/SMSETUP/Diagnostics+Agents

But recently , we got introduced to SMD agent 7.30 SP3 installation guide, its mentioned SMD agent direct registration is the best option,

Note 1829024 - Inst. 7.30 SP3 - Diagnostics Agent installation,

Now I am confused, which is the best option, what is pros and cons for each approach.

Can anyone assist us.

Regards

Jansi

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

bxiv
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I would think the change for this is due to PI being the desired central SLD provider, by pointing the Diag Agents at SolMan directly you are cutting out the middle man.

Why go through the hassle of going through a system like PI, just to pull up your performance data for the Host/ABAP/Java?  In my current environment the central SLD and SolMan happen to be the same system, however the only thing that makes SolMan the central SLD is to keep the Data Suppliers consistency through out the various landscapes.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Billy and Alex,

it was initial, SAP confirmed SLD registration is good  with considering PI in the track. But now they are saying Direct registration is the best?

will you think direct registration would support much better than SLD regisration?

For my understanding, under direct registration, maintenance part is very difficult, every time you to run the script to change the host name or connection string.

Where as SLD registration, could be just connect / disconnect button , more of automatted.

I want some more clarification

Regards

Jansi

bxiv
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Jansi Rani Murugesan wrote:

For my understanding, under direct registration, maintenance part is very difficult, every time you to run the script to change the host name or connection string.

Where as SLD registration, could be just connect / disconnect button , more of automatted.

What host name or connection entry?  For the host name, you could leverage a virtual name and rely on host entries/DNS entries to avoid changing that portion.  I'm not sure which connection string you have in mind.

As for the SLD registration being a button; just recently I found a Dev server that had not been updating its SLD entry, all due to the job not being scheduled.  When in fact the job was removed by someone, which as you can imagine is always fun to find out.

Keeping that in mind if you have a connect / disconnect button to make things automated, you also have the chance that someone accidentally disables your agent from reporting in to SLD.

Another thought, this could be SAP's continued movement away from SMSY to the LMDB.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

nelis
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Jansi,

I think which method you use is dependent on the installation scenario.

If the diagnostics agent was installed with a managed system installation then it would be using SLD registration option which also requires some additional tasks to setup agent in SOLMAN_SETUP for managed systems. If the agent was not registered with SLD then you can use the smdsetup script.

If the diagnostics agent is installed with standalone package then you can use direct install option to Solution Manager. This option as far as I understand does not require extra activities to be performed in SOLMAN_SETUP for the diag agent. You can still register the agent with SLD.

In order for Solution Manager to push new data(eg. after an upgrade) to the diagnostics agents they must be registered in SLD. At least that's how I understand it.

Hope that makes sense.

Regards,

Nelis

Message was edited by: Nelis Lamprecht - Corrected SLD reg with direct install option.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello!

To my opinion the direct Solution Manager connection is the better way. As the result of managed system configuration you connect all the Diagnostic Agents to your Solution Manager system in order to use there functions like DVM/MAI, EWA for non-ABAP systems, etc..

I do not realy know which advantages are behind the the Diagnostic Agent registration to SLD instead of registration to your Solman.

kind regards