HDB Multiple error's - After Upgrade to Rev 56

former_member184871
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi all,

I am facing different problem with SAP HANA

ERROR 1

[HDB imdbhdb 00 (SYSTEM)] Error on refreshing system

Database connection is not available. See error log for more details.

com.sap.ndb.studio.jdbc.JDBCConnectionStatus: Database connection is not available. See error log for more details.

at com.sap.ndb.studio.jdbc.JDBCPlugin.createConnection(JDBCPlugin.java:330)

at com.sap.ndb.studio.navigator.operations.SAPSystemObjectUpdate.executeTryJDBC(SAPSystemObjectUpdate.java:258)

at com.sap.ndb.studio.navigator.operations.SAPSystemObjectUpdate.execute(SAPSystemObjectUpdate.java:86)

at com.sap.ndb.studio.navigator.operations.UpdateSAPSystemOperation.execute(UpdateSAPSystemOperation.java:72)

at com.sap.ndb.studio.datamodel.controler.DataModelOperation.execute(DataModelOperation.java:70)

at com.sap.ndb.studio.datamodel.controler.DataModelOperationQueue$DataModelOperationThread.run(DataModelOperationQueue.java:99)

Caused by: com.sap.db.jdbc.exceptions.JDBCDriverException: SAP DBTech JDBC: Cannot connect to jdbc:sap://10.144.10.73:30015 [Cannot connect to host 10.144.10.73:30015 [Connection timed out: connect], -813.].

at com.sap.db.jdbc.exceptions.SQLExceptionSapDB.createException(SQLExceptionSapDB.java:219)

at com.sap.db.jdbc.exceptions.SQLExceptionSapDB.createException(SQLExceptionSapDB.java:203)

at com.sap.db.jdbc.exceptions.SQLExceptionSapDB.generateDatabaseException(SQLExceptionSapDB.java:186)

at com.sap.db.jdbc.Driver.connect(Driver.java:238)

at com.sap.ndb.studio.jdbc.JDBCPlugin$3.run(JDBCPlugin.java:642)

I have tried re-installing JDK 6 and JDK 7 also I have re-installed HANA Studio and Client Rev 56, but problem remains same.

I have also tried the steps mentioned here (Having trouble accessing your SAP HANA box through a VPN?)

ERROR 2

Compatibility Issue though my DB version and Studio Version is same.

But I am getting this error :

Please help in getting it fixed.

Regards

Kumar

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I think I got the same error message as you describe in 1.

When adding the system, on the final screen there's imdbhdb mentioned as server. It looked like it was trying to reach another system.

(Cannot connect to jdbc:sap://10.144.10.73:30015).

That IP address is not the elastic IP address that I associated my AWS HANA instance with and what I mapped in the hosts file. Therefore I changed imdbhdb to the elastic IP address and that solved the issue for me.

Hope this helps you.

Cheers, Roel

GopalNair
Participant
0 Kudos

Thank you!.

I was having the same issue. Giving the elastic IP addres directly resolved the issue. Seems like Release 56 requires some more polishing.

Best Regards,

Gopal Nair.

UweFetzer_se38
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You mean in the System properties? Will try the same and report back.

The 10.144.10.73 is the internal IP-Address of your HANA system btw...

UweFetzer_se38
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Solved 

Seems that's it, just enter the public domain name instead of imdbhdb into the hostname:

UweFetzer_se38
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I think I laughed too early, with the domain name as host I'm getting other errors.
Staying with studio rev 48 on HANA rev 59. Works for me:

henrique_pinto
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Best practice is to add the dynamic external IP to your hosts file with "imdbhdb" as hostname and to add this hostname to Studio. Better than relying on multiple DNSs trying to agree...

Former Member
0 Kudos

directly entering the Elastic IP solved the problem.

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

former_member184871
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi all,

Please guide me on How to free SAP HANA memory - as after upgrade to REV 56 it happened and I tried from my side but was not successful.

Please advice.

Regards

Kumar

schfer_christian
Explorer
0 Kudos

We have the same Problem. We have m2.2xlarge on AWS and ram usage is very high.

The performance is gone.

on rev 48 our query takes 2,7 sec now on rev 56 it takes 12,8 sec. we only did the update.

0 Kudos

Hi Kumar,

Regarding - How to free SAP HANA memory

I noticed that AWS creates snapshots from time to time depending on your usage. I believe it will be a good idea to delete your old snapshots and keep only the current one. Unless you need the old snapshots for some specific reason.

Regards,

Anuj

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi guys, first of all thanks for your time sharing this info with all of us.

I have some basic questions, like:

1) I am running HANA under Windows 7. Within this post and also this one http://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-30980, i read that there is some lines that needs to be written using (putty,etc).. not sure if this applies for Windows (using command promt). Is there any step that needs to be done that way?

2) can you share the link with us to donwload the rev56 of studio and client please?

http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/webcontent/uuid/402aa158-6a7a-2f10-0195-f43595...

as this one looks like rev 48.

3) I have installed already rev 48. Next step according to this post (after upgrading AWS server), would be coping and extracting the 2 zip files sap_hana_studio_win64.zip and sap_hana_client_win64.zip into an empty folder, and then execute the files, THAT WILL PROMT TO UPGRADE? Or is there any adittional step? like coping specific files from the downloaded zip to existing folders.

Many thanks again...

Mariano

former_member184871
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Former Member

1. Putty is needed to gain the root access of the HANA server and its must on windows, to download it just google and you will get the download link of putty.
  2. For revision 56 studio, its still not available for public download so to obtain REV 56 studio you need the AWS account and the setup for REV 56 studio and Client is present in  /sap/update/media.
  3. To obtain Studio and Client ZIP files for REV 56 studio, you need to keep open /sap/update/media folder using FTP client (eg. filezilla or any other) this respective folder will be only be accessible as long as you have mounted the new volume for upgrading.

For more detail you can also refer :- Developer Center HOWTO - Update your SAP HANA, ... | SCN

Regards

Kumar

TomCenens
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Kumar

I performed some additional steps because the HANA studio (or HANA itself maybe) seemed to be unstable at first.

After updating the HANA revision I stopped / started HANA an additional time

- I'm using the m2.xlarge type

I removed all the existing connection in the HANA studio and added the system connection again.

I'm still using imdbhdb. I do see "system state could not be determined" and the icon is gray for my HANA instance inside the SAP HANA studio but I can access HANA & execute actions.

Best regards

Tom

former_member184871
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Tom,

My POV  with REV 56 no matter if its Studio, Client or HANA Server it-self, it worked differently with everyone.

Yesterday I formatted my laptop and re-installed everything again then I found that HANA runs smoothly as it was in Rev 48, and it worked with "imdbhdb"

The point is what is the exact problem --- is it Rev 56 HANA studio/client or SAP HANA Rev 56 or Java which handles the background process.. or few windows updates...!! ?? 

Regards

Kumar.

TomCenens
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Kumar

I also ended up uninstalling the previous HANA studio version.

It's like you say, I don't know exactly what is was but at the moment it runs fine.

I'm also running against imdbhdb.

Best regards

Tom

former_member184871
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Tom,

Lets wait for some more updates from SAP -- say REV 57 (HANA,Studio and client) or another revised version of REV 56 (HANA,Studio and client).

Hopefully then it will be fine as usual.

Regards

Kumar

former_member184871
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi

Thanks a lot

Thanks for testing

I am staying with Rev 56 Studio installation, as of now no any strange error received

Regards

Kumar

henrique_pinto
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Try to right click a view and let me know if you see the context menu without problems.

former_member184871
Contributor
0 Kudos

Another point added in error  : I am not able to see CONTENT anywhere in Rev 56 HANA studio but everything seems to be working fine in Rev 48 studio. . .  kind strange

No content in the above figure even in Modeler perspective.

former_member184871
Contributor
0 Kudos

Revision 48 Studio has everything as normal.

idi_kurniawan2
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Kumar,

I have similar problem with you, couldn't connect using hana studio 56. Then I tried using studio 48, now it's connected, but I can't see the content workshop and workshop-uis. Any clue what could be the problem?

Thank you.

Regards,

Idi

thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

You don't see the Content folder at all or only that you don't see these workshop packages within the Content folder?

former_member184871
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Thomas,

Just an Input:

After multiple mix and match (of studio and client) I figured out that I should get back on REV 48 HANA server  with Rev 56 studio and client, so that at least I can get the correct error description with line number during XS-development.

Though Rev 48 Client and Rev 56 studio with Rev 56 server works but when there are multiple refresh after creating an object then after 4 or 5 refresh of HANA system it throws " Out of memory error"

Also I was at SAP labs India for Startup forum - their also people asked to provision Rev 48 and use Rev 56 studio and client as Rev 56 is not stable at all.

If there is any input or a quick fix Rev 56 error then I can again update my Rev 48 HANA server on AWS to Rev 56.

Please advice

Regards

Kumar. 

former_member184871
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Idi,

I would suggest you to try multiple combinations :

1: Client Rev 48 - Studio Rev 56

2: Client Rev 56 - Studio Rev 48

3: Client Rev 48 - Studio Rev 48

4: Client Rev 56 - Studio Rev 56

I am also not sure which will work or which will not work for you.

Also Let us know "answer of Thomas Question"

Regards

Kumar.

thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

> I am not able to see CONTENT anywhere in Rev 56 HANA studio

In the SAP HANA Systems view/Navigator, click the triangle in the upper right corner. Choose Customize View. On the Content tab, select the Content folder.  Then you will see the Content folder in your hierarchy.

former_member184871
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Thomas,

Thanks for pointing to the missing link. Can you please guide how to rectify the problem of "Out of memory" issue after upgrading to Rev 56.

Regards

Kumar.

thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

I would need to know more.  Are you running out of memory on the desktop side (Studio) or Server?  Running out of memory on the server could mean that you need to choose a larger instance size on AWS.  Rev56 server does require more memory just to start up than previous revisions.

former_member184871
Contributor
0 Kudos

With Rev 56 I am running out of memory on Server side. I tried with the larger instance also from m2.xlarge to m2.2xlarge but was having the same problem of out of memory.

After all trial I switched back to Rev 48. 

Please advice, how should I proceed again to Rev 56.

Regards

Kumar.

idi_kurniawan2
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Kumar,

It works.

The Content folder, as you also know, just as simple as setting up the Customize View in Navigator.

Regarding the combination, here is my combination,

Client Rev 48 - Studio Rev 48 -> connected to HANA Developer Rev 56 on AWS.

I'm using m2.2xlarge, and there is no out-of-memory issue.

Thanks.

Regards,

Idi

former_member184871
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Idi

Thanks for the input, though I did tried with m2.2xlarge on SAP HANA Rev 56 but I was getting "Out of Memory error.

Since I have already provisioned new Rev 48 HANA server, I will again try to update to REV 56 with m2.2xlarge and will update.

Regards

Kumar 

former_member184871
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Idi and  Thomas

My SAP HANA Server is working fine now with Rev 56 upgrade with Rev 56 Client and Studio.

To achieve that :

I provisioned a new REV 48 HANA Server on AWS.

Then I upgraded it to REV 56 as required. Its working fine now but DB memory still seems to be consumed more than 95%.

Any possible way to solve this.

Please advice.

Regards

Kumar.

idi_kurniawan2
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi

According to the HOWTO for the update, http://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-30980

Developer Center HOWTO - Update your SAP HANA, developer edition on AWSStep 0 - Prerequisites :

With Revision 56, a HANA Server pre-allocates 30GB when idle..... However, if you look on the OS level (e.g. with top, free or meminfo), you will see that the amount of physical memory consumed by a humming HANA server is indeed much lower.

So that should be normal. Congrats on your setup.

In the meantime I'm still working with studio 48, could be a problem with windows 8 or java installation, not sure, need to dig further.

Regards,

Idi

former_member184871
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Idi

Thanks for the information.

Since release of windows 8.1 preview I am using HANA Studio and Client on it. Earlier I was on windows 8.

Everything works perfect with java jdk-7u21-windows-x64 on windows 8.1

Give it a try.

To be on safer side first I tested everything on Virtual Installation of Win 8.1 using vmware.

You can move ahead with windows 8.

Regards

Kumar.