cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Loops does not dissaper from data foundation when using contexts?

alfons_gonzalez
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am currently developing a UNX universe. As usual there is some loops on there. I have fixed most of them by using aliases but the last one takes much more sense to be fixed by implementing the context. The question arises that when fixing loops using alias these ones does not longer appear more in the data foundation layer when clicking on "Detect loops". But with the one that I fixed using the contexts it still persists in the data foundation layer (I see it when clicking on loops). As far as I remember in release 3.1 loops were no longer detected after they were fixed (did not matter how it was smart). Has someone else noticed this behaviour? Why 4.0 IDT does not detect that the loop has been fixed by the context?

Thanks

Alfons

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Alfons,

IDT detects loop and visualize in data foundation view. But if you expand the loop, it will lists the contexts used to resolve the loop.

The loop displays ? symbol in front of the loop first time when detect the loop. Then click on refresh button next to detect loop button, the loop name shows tick mark in green.

Regards,

Aashutosh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Aashutosh,

I am also facing the same problem like Alfons.

I have tried the way as you said but it is not showing the green mark again and again it is showing the same old red mark.

Can you please tell me how to resolve this issue....i think its a bug in IDT 4.0

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kishore,

It should not be the case. If you resolve the loop with correct contexts then it will notify correctly.

If possible will you please share a screen-shot for more details.

The screen-shots mentioned above are captured with eFashion universe and IDT version 14.0.2.740.

Regards,

Aashutosh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Aashutosh,

In my univ I m having 5 fact tables and some 15 dimension tables.

I created five contexts(for every fact tables). I connected all the dimension tables to different fact tables for each context.

But still it is showing it as loop. Actually it is not a loop, three different dimension paths converging at the fact table. How can it be a loop??

I am using IDT Version: 14.0.4.v20120611-0738.

I am not getting how to resolve this. Can you please help me to resolve this issue??

Regards,

Kishore

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kishore,

The contexts defined in universe are automatically defined contexts or did you define them manually?

If you manually defined contexts them remove them, check all the cardinalities of joins and detect loops. It will lists all the present loops. Use "Detect context" button. It will show a list of candidate contexts, review those contexts and apply them to resolve the loop and then check the loops. This is just a work-around or a way of investigation but before applying these steps please review your data model and database design. And before performing above mentioned steps take a backup of universe design file so that if anything goes wrong you can revert back to your original status.

I'll suggest some points for universe design:

1. Please check whether all cardinalities of joins are set properly or not.
2. Discuss the universe design with your data modeller or if time permits do the database analysis and check whether data model matches with your universe design.
3. Check if any extended dimensions tables are joined. Though they are connected to single fact table and included in context, they may form a loop.

If possible will you share a logical data model or screen-shot of loop detection in universe?

The IDT version you are using is of 4.0 SP4 and is well above my IDT version. Hence, I don't think that it may causes issue. For more information about known issues and limitations you may refer 4.0 Release notes.

Regards,
Aashutosh