cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Applets not working with Java 7u21

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi experts,

I've recently updated  to the latest JRE version (7 update 21) and the applets in the xMII sever installation are not working properly. The server is running version 12.0 SP5.

First of all, I receive a security warning. After I accept the "risks", some of the applets don't even appear and in others I'm receiving :

ERROR - Error loading properties, java.lang.NullPointerException

I've downgraded java version to a previous release and everything is working as expected.

What I'm asking is if there's an update in the server that should be installed or what to do about this? if there's a SAP note about this, I'm sorry for the silly question, but I wasn't able to found it.

Thanks in advance.

Ximena

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I can report that this problem (or another with the same symptoms) also exists on MII 12.2.6 combined with IE8 with JRE version 1.6.0_45-b06 Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM which we just recieved af few weeks ago.

We have found the following varying symptoms (random with unequal probability).

1) Applets (3 Icommands and 1 ispcchart sync'ed with javascript) and IE8 deadlock, no symptoms except deadlock.

2) 1 of the Applets popup a security warning about unsafe mixed trusted and unsigned code. BUT the OK button cannot be clicked, nothing happens, IE8 deadlocks.

3) Sometimes (random but VERY seldom) the application actually starts normally after the OK-button is clicked.

4) When 2) happens, sometimes it helps minimizing and maximizing the deadlocking IE - suddenly JAVA seems to act on the "OK"-click due to some "repaint" event??? and loads the applets as before update!?!

Apart from the unpredictable and completely unsatisfying cases 3) and 4), we have found the following CLIENT SIDE workarounds that works consitently:

In Control Panel => Java...=> Advanced,

A) Disable the Mixed mode warning - run as clicked OK without warning

...or...

B) Disable "Next generation java" that was implemented irresponsibly by SUNfrom JRE 1.6.0.14 to 1.6.0.17.

These alternative work-arounds are however unacceptable as we have 400-600 clients that need to implement it. Who wants to run around clicking all browsers througout the country/contries until vendor solution comes from SAP or Oracle? Guessed so..

ALSO, the application actually WORKS with the same client setup on our ancient xMII 11.5.6 production server.

SAP, maybe you should talk to Oracle about some strategy for the future as it is not the first time such things happen to our MII application...?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Or maybe go away from applets and work on a HTML5 solution?

That solves most issues and isn't that much work anymore with all the libraries available.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Well our enterprise IT department have confirmed they will not support any central roll out. All World here I come clicking on users PC's Boss, expect travel expenses!

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi ximena,

Please use java 6 update 31.......

it ll support.

Please download Java6 update 31 and try.........

Regards,

Santhosh K

Former Member
0 Kudos

I would warn against that major downgrade to 1.6.31, it will force open and expose your computer(s) to hundreds of now fixed security holes. The solution to check "disable security warning" is really not insecure, according to (rather unclear) Oracle specifications on the issue - which indicate that the warning is really there "to help developers use best practice".

Oracle sends this problem right back at you, SAP!

Please start the solution immidately, communicating with ORACLE and your customers please!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you all for the responses, I really hope there's some kind of "official" solution for this soon instead of workarounds that implies client side configrations given the large amount of workstations inside the organization.

Regards

janez_stupar
Explorer
0 Kudos

Please note that running applets (SAP BM) on MII 14.0.2 and java 7u25 also result in message: An unsigned application from locations requesting permission to run. After accepting risk it blocks any applet to run. Can anybody confirm that signing of applets as reported in SAP note for version 12.* was not succesfully implemented !

Former Member
0 Kudos

I understand that the MII 14.0 SP2  has all the applets signed.

In order to make it work with a previous version of MII you will need some changes on the client side.

Please open the Java Control Panel, go to security tab and select a Low/Medium security level which allows running unsigned applets.  You can configure the settings in the ADVANCED tab, so that the browser add-on does not post you all these security questions.

paul.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Looks like applets were signed in 12.1 SP10 Patch 3.  Refer to note below for details.

https://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/1821568

RG

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have also tried with Java 1.7.0_21 but its not working at all for MII, I also get the same error. but now I am using 1.7.0_5 and its working fine, no issue from anywhere. Few days ago I have used 1.7.0_10 also and that was also working fine.

Regards,

Suman

Former Member
0 Kudos

Think it started in v15.  Here is a good thread discussing issue.

http://www.labareweb.com/java-1-7-auto-update-deployment-with-sccmmdt/

RG

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes, we have recently run into this as well.  Below is the message window that seems appears to users:

Unfortunately, this has nothing to do with MII.  We can thank Oracle for putting this check in the latest versions of Java.  This message results from Java going out to see if there is a newer version of JRE available in a vain attempt to keep Java users on the latest, “most secure” version available.  The good news is that we can bypass this message by selecting the “Do not show this again for this app” box and selecting “Run”.  The bad news is that this has to be done for every applet on every web page.  Once this is done, the user is no longer prompted with this message until a newer version of Java is released where they will have to go through the process all over again.

I would also be interested to hear if anyone else has any ideas on how to deal with this?

Former Member
0 Kudos

My understanding is that the applets are not signed, which causes this error.  In my case, we are still running xMII 11.5 and the certificates expired "years ago".  Not sure if that is the cause, though.

So...  While I agree that Oracle is causing many of us pain, maybe SAP needs to update their applet certificates and release a patch?