cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Storing of Scanned documents in ERP database

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We are needing to scan and store documents for users to be able to reference. Would it be advisable to store these documents in the ERP ECC6 database directly or would it be better to store these files in a content server?

Users are wanting to make use of the Business Document Services. My worries are that storing these documents in the SAP transactional database will decrease performance over time, and drastically increase the size of the database. We have already started to experience logistical problems with the length of offline backups, as we refresh the data on our QA machine monthly.

Are there any reasons not to use the ERP database to store these documents?

Thanks

Regards

Grant

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Makal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Grant,

We are needing to scan and store documents for users to be able to reference. Would it be advisable to store these documents in the ERP ECC6 database directly or would it be better to store these files in a content server?

Users are wanting to make use of the Business Document Services. My worries are that storing these documents in the SAP transactional database will decrease performance over time, and drastically increase the size of the database. We have already started to experience logistical problems with the length of offline backups, as we refresh the data on our QA machine monthly.

You may use Business Document Service (GOS) for storing the documents. But remember, such kind of document maintenance has limitations like, it is not secured way of storing documents (not recommended for legal and financial documents), it adds to your SAP database (if the volume is more, than soon you'll have system performance issue).

If you content server (long with SAP DMS), you can avoid data redundancy, you can store documents securely, you can distribute the documents securely etc.. You may refer the SAP Help on DMS.

I also advise you to go through SAP DMS Wiki.

Finally it depends on business needs whether to go for SAP DMS or not. You need to analysis the requirement/ needs of the business and take a call accordingly.

I hope this information helps you to take decision.

Best Regards,

Amaresh Makal

Answers (0)