cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cancel an invoice and Reverse a GI for previous periods?

former_member187652
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi folks:

we have this scenario that a order have been created and delivered back in 2005. since no billing documents have been generated, it remains as open delivery on the credit exposure report. I was wondering if there is a way to reverse the GI but let the document post on previous posing period, 2005, is that possible?

Also there is another order that have been returned and credit memo-ed. Is there a way to cancel the billing document in the past so that no documents are posted in current posting period?

after these two issue I thought about this scenario. If a billing document have been generated, let's say, last year, but the accounting documents have never been cleared. is it possible to post these accounting document in the posting period from last year?

If not, is there a way to manually clear off the open deliveries/open orders/open billing?

Thanks ahead!!

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member187652
Contributor
0 Kudos

Well I guess the solution isn't really related to the intention of this thread but it solved the issue so I'm gonna share ithere.  Thanks you guys all for your input!

we ended up creating an invoice and reduce the net price to 0.001$, which is the easiest option, only that this requires some unclean transactions from SD and FI side in order to not surprise the customer.

I guess it is also feasible to create a invoice type which would allow a net amount of zero and bill the delivery doc with this invoice type, which is much work.

Other than that, not sure archiving that delivery document would be an option, am not quite familiar with archiving.

Thanks again everyone

Answers (6)

Answers (6)

eduardo_hinojosa
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi

Related with the PGI and deliveries, you can reverse only in periods opened according tcode MMPV. For further information, see Note 487381 - RMMMINIT: Protection against unintentionial execution.

Related with billing. As other colleagues suggests, discuss it with your FI partner, remember if you could have an issue with tax authorities (tax reporting).

Regards

Eduardo

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Lee,

First I want to clear that In SAP you can kept open two posting periods (E.g. June -July) and its highly not advisable which in year 2005.

1.You have to reverse  GI on the current doc and kept the sales order rejected by giving areason of rejection.

2. Again its not advisable to open a period of long back 2005, so you have to cancel the billing doc in the current period and reject the credit memo request.

3.No its not possible to post a billing doc in the last years date you have cancel it in the current posting period and create in the same.

regards

AG.

former_member187652
Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks Amrit!

is there any way to off set the impact on current posting that you know of? both for inventory and financial?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Lee,

FI wont need any posting period. Take the proper approval from the business and do the revese PGR cancelations of invoice and settle it with the a/c with 2005.discuss with your FI consultant and proceeed.

Regards

AG

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Lee,

Inorder to post any document in the previous period, then that period neeeds to be open. But it is not a best practise to do so, as it can have impact on other reports and documents. Before performing any cancellation or so, please discuss the same with your FI consulting team and find out the impacts of the changes,if any.
Regarding the returned and credit memo, can you please provide more information as off what you really wanted,it is not much clear.

Inorder to cancel/delete any document,make sure that there is no succeding document for that.

List of open billing documents-VF05

List of open deliveries-VL06/VL06O

List of open Sales order-VA05

1.To cancel the billing document use T-code VF11

2. To cancel the Post goods Issue use tcode VL09,

3.Once it is reversed, delete the delivery using VL02N.

3. Once the delivery is deleted, the sales order will be open. Now put a reason for rejection in the line item/s(VA02), and reject the order, the order will get closed.

Thanks & Regards,

Sreeja V

former_member187652
Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks Screeja, please see my reply to Alan for the full scenario. your steps are what I was about to advise the users until I realized the financial and inventory impact on current posting...

former_member184080
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Lee,

I am surprised with your post.How can a business have sales orders with GI completed but not Invoiced? During your cycle counting/ stock verification, your inventory guy should have noticed.

Anyway, coming to solution, you have reverse the GI with current date, cancel/delete the delivery and keep the reason for rejection in your order,

For credit memo's cancel them with current open period date.

Opening of previous periods are not advisable. Better, check with your business & FI consultant before you open any periods.

Regards, Sai Krishna.

former_member187652
Contributor
0 Kudos

Agree Sai, there must be a really good story behind the whole mess.

As for the GI reversal, how can you offset the impact of posting on current date? since it will be coming out of nowhere?

Thanks

former_member184080
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Lee,

Its more of business decision. You have to reverse with current date and it will show in the current year reports as the stock will Increase in SAP.

Regards, Sai Krishna.

abhinav_sharma05
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Lee,

You can do it by opening the previous financial period but it may have some impact on that years balance sheet which you need to discuss with your FI consultant.

Thanks & Regards,

Abhinav

former_member187652
Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks for the input Abhinav, openning the previous financial period is one thing, but how do you let the system  know the posting is for the past? for example, when you reverse a GI, it post on current period automatically, how can you let it post on previous period? the same with cancelling a previous invoice.

jignesh_mehta3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Lee,

Please do not explore option of opening previous periods (dating back to 2005) & reverse a back-dated PGI.

Now, speak to FI / SD people on business side & let them decide that the money is nevver going to come back.

One the decision is taken create a Invoice for the Delivery in current date & post if to accounts. Once the Invoice is posted, you can issue a Credit Memo to Customer for your SAP records which wil nullify the debit created by above Invoice.

With thi the Credit Limit blocked by open delivery will be released & there is be not actual posting on Customer's account.

Thanks,

Jignesh Mehta

Former Member
0 Kudos

1) Not possible. Ask finance department to post billing this month. Customer have not pay? Funny...

2) Don't quite understand what you mean, returned and credit memoed, then why still need to cancel past documents?

3) Not cleared, means no payment, finance should be able to clear it if payment received.

Open deliveries for GI, - VL06

Open delvieries for Billing - VF04

Blocked Billing - VFX3

former_member187652
Contributor
0 Kudos

2) it is all these crazy things happened back in 2005, there's a order that went through delivery, billing, then billing was cancelled. next day they created a return order along with return delivery and credit memo, cleared..... it was literally like free credit. now the delivery is open and counting credit exposure since the original invoice was cancelled, but it could not be deleted since where is subsequent documents (RE--LR--CR) linked with it...

to delete the subsequent document, the CR need to be cancelled, LR reversed and deleted, which both would impact the currently posting period,

Former Member
0 Kudos

Like what  I said, it is not possible to post entries to past year. Finance already close journal entries, already make management report, submitted accounts, etc.

Since you have such a situation,  I believe the entries back then could have been lesser amount collected from customer. Whether the original invoice and cancelled invoice is collected from customer, and whether the return CN has a payment to customer needs to be establish or is this all just internal entries without real effect on customer. Establish the facts first.

It will be better to ask Finance department now, how the real handling should be first accourding to their accounting rules and regulations?

Once they have a descision, we can discuss again how to handle in SAP.

Message was edited by: Alan Love