cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SLD 7.1 on PI - Licensing Question

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear all,

our customer (with a previously Service Provider) has implemented a global solution using a centralized SLD (one for the development and one for the production)

Since from 7.1 the SMD no longer exist (repliced by Deploy Controller), the choice at the moment was to install a PI7.1 and deploy the SLD in 7.1

The PI functionality is not used (and not planned), due the fact that a new Process Orchestration (PO) project (and licence cost) is in the implementation phase.

I've just take a look into this SDN article (wolf.hengevoss)

http://scn.sap.com/people/wolf.hengevoss/blog/2008/11/07/how-to-get-an-sap-netweaver-71-system-lands...

where is clearly explained the possible scenario for the SLD 7.1 installation

a) Installing the SLD together with another application based on NW7.1 (eg. PI, ACC, CE...)

b) Installing the SLD to a dedicate host with CE7.1 EHP1

So, I would aks you two questions:

1) In you opinion, install and configure a PI 7.1 just to use it for the SLD 7.1 was (at the time) a good practice (costs/benefits)?

2) What about the PI licence cost? The customer is paying a PI License (expensive) just to use the SLD centralized?

And in addition:

Since our SOLMAN will be in end of maintenance at the end of 2013 (7.0 EHP1), you will be confident to suggest the implementation of a new SLD on the SOLMAN 7.1?

Thanks

Cristian

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Cristian

1)definitely I would have gone for the option b

2)I think that for your purpose it was not good practice @ALL ; I saw this thread regarding pricing and I hope it will be usefull for you http://scn.sap.com/thread/8311

For the last question, yes

Regards

a

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Andrea, and Raja

Thanks you for you reply.

I've done a double check internally. In order to deploy a SLD in 7.1, at the moment two installation type were available (NW 71 PI, or CE).

As far as I know, using the 7.1 version allow to use the FAS (Full Automatic Synchronization) - instead the automatic forwarding or export/import functionality -  for the data distribution.

The NW PI 7.1 version is exactly an AAE (just the Java stack).

Maybe, the licence cost in this case could be free of charge, due the absence of any exchange of xml data, and any 3th part software incluse. Basically it's just an SLD

But obviously, as you suggest, it would be better to ask this info directly to SAP.

Regarding the Solman 7.1 (and the relevant planning upgrade), surely it will be involved on the design topology of the SLD Landscape, due the fact that the LMDB functionality can merge with the FAS functionality of SLD 7.1

But in this case, I think that the implementation of SLD centralized directly on SM could have some impacts with our PI/PO scenario - in terms of availability during maintenance operation of SM.

Thanks.

Cristian

rajasekhar_reddy14
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Cristian,

Better to talk with SAP,as per my knowledge till PI7.1 licencing cost is based on volument and type of integration(SAP to SAP integration free).

SAP PI 7.3 onwards licencing model got changed not sure about how PI 7.31 (PO) licening model.

In your case i would prefer option 2.

Thank you