cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MDM syndication - old, new values

Former Member
0 Kudos

We have a requirement to syndicate to old value, changed value of a field to an outbound system.  for eg. if a table has 2 fields code, description and requirement is to syndicate code, old description, new description to outbound system. how this can be achieved within MDM.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Subin,

What you can do is to create a new field and assign the old value to this field either before import(this would be difficult to implement) or assign the new value to this field after you have syndicated the record to the outbound system. Once the syndication is done, both the fields will contain same value(i.e. new one). So whenever the next time new value comes in, you will have both old value and new value. Please let em know if you need any more details for this.

Thanks and Regards,

Ankush

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Ankush. could you explain it in more detailed technical terms. are you saying we need to have workflow set up.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Subin,

Yes you would need to setup a workflow.

Before i explain furthe, can you please let me know the scenario where you are looking to implement this functionality. Also which all systems are involved in the landscape.

Thanks and Regards,

Ankush

Former Member
0 Kudos

there are several inbound systems where the data feed come in and several outbound systems data goes out to. old value and new value need to be stored within mdm. i can think of changing inbound maps/syndication maps, creating assignment, creating workflow with a check out->assignment->checkin scenario.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Subin,

Yes, you are right. You can create new field in MDM.

• Create new assignement to assign the value of Field1 to new created field Field2.
  • Create new workflow which will have syndication step, then checkout, assignment run, checkin steps.
  • This will ensure that old value is also syndicated whenever there is new value updated by inbound data.
  • You need to do configuration change in inbound map to accomodate the workflow.
  • And syndication map needs to have new field added.
  • Also PI system should be able to accomodate this new field coming from MDM system.

You need to make sure that assignment is run after the syndication to outbound systems so that old value remains intact until this point.

Let me know if you need any other information.

Thanks and Regards,

Ankush

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Ankush.

We have decided on a different approach. Create 3 description fields - old, new, buffer. latest description from inbound will be mapped to buffer. upon update on buffer, a workflow will assign new descr. to old and buffer descr. will be copied to new. here buffer field is just a temporary holder of description.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Subin,

Your approach is also correct. But i find that it is doing the same thing by using two assignments and two new field creations, which can be done by using single assignment and only 1 new field to be created. You might be having some reason for using this approach. Can you please let me know the significance of this approach over the other one?

Your method will work perfectly fine, but i am just curious.

Thanks and Regards,

Ankush

Former Member
0 Kudos

workflow is triggered after record update. if i did not have buffer field  and once new description is updated and assignment of old description will update again with new description itself. old description is lost by the time assignment is done.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Subin,

Is your requirement such that syndication will be happening sometime later after the import is done or syndication will be triggered immidiately after the import is done? If it is the latter one, then we can incorporate syndication step in workflow and the execute assignment after the syndication is done(as explained in my earlier posts). Please let me know.

Aslo i request you to close this thread since your problem has been solved.

Thanks and Regards,

Ankush

Former Member
0 Kudos

our requirement is to syndicate after after import is done.

with your approach are you saying we syndicate first old value then syndicate new value later. please let me know as our requirement is to have syndication file containing old desc, new desc, code in a single file. 

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Subin,

Let me explain the scenario:

• Say currently there is only 1 field in your system which contains the description value - DESCRIPTION.

• Now you want to send old and new value in single file. So you need to create 1 field DESCRIPTION1.

• Now you create an Assignment to copy the value from DESCRIPTION to DESCRIPTION1. You will execute this assignment once, manually, for all the records so that both the fields have same value.

• You can create a workflow which will trigger after the auto import is done.
  • Steps would be:

Syndicate --> checkout --> assignment run --> checkin

• Now when you import the data, it will update field DESCRIPTION with new value. So at this point of time, you have new value in DESCRIPTION filed and old value in DESCRIPTION1 field.

• In the syndication map you can map both these fields so that they send both the values simultaneously to target system. This will ensure that you have sent both values in same file.

• Now after the syndication is done, we can execute the assignment and it will overwrite the value in DESCRIPTION1 field with the value in DESCRIPTION field.

• So the next time an import will be done, it will update the value of DESCRIPTION field but old value will already be there in DESCRIPTION1 field.

• So key here is to execute Assignment after the syndication step.

This is what i had proposed in my earlier posts. Please let me know if this will be correct approach for your scenario. If you have any concerns, we can discuss it further.

Thanks and Regards,

Ankush

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ankush, Thanks for the detailed reply. I like what you said, the only negative about this approach MDM will lose the old description. As being master data system, our requirement is to keep the old info in MDM.

Answers (0)