cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linking of one main Table with other

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts

Please advice, the way I can link field details of one main Table with other.

My requirement: I have 02 Main Table having different Data. I need to link two Tables with a Unique field, Which is common on both Tables.

What is the possible way out.

Also, can 02 Main Tables simultaneously used from EP.

if yes, what are the steps.

Regards

Prashant

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Prashant,

Yes you can link two main tables in MDM system.

• For using any display field of the main table(say Main1), you need to create a field in second main table(Main2). Field Type should be Lookup [Main]. Then you can select the field in Main1 table that you want to reference from Main2 table.

• Whenever you add a record in Main2 table, you will need to select the value of Lookup [Main] field by choosing the values already existing in the Main1 table.
  • You need to make sure that a record containing the desired value is already there in Main1 table, before you add the record in Main2 table for the desired value. Otherwise this value will not appear in the loopup records and you will not be able to add the record.

Now regarding your second query:

• Yes, you can use both the tables from the EP.
  • I am not aware of the commands to be used, but simple approach would be to read data from Main1 table and pick the value of the referenced field. Then srite a query to select the data from Main2 Table, where the value of Lookup [Main] field matches the value of referenced field.

Please let me know if you have any further queries.

Thanks and Regards,

Ankush

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Ankush and Mir for the advices.

It has helped me clearing some doubts.

Do advice, can we update few fields of a main Table when an update in another Lookup Flat or a Tuple  Table is done).

For Example: While creating an Employee Data in a Lookup Flat Table, I want while saving the data few of the fields from "Employee Master" should get populated in main Table in few respective fields.

Please suggest.

Regards

Prashant

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Prashant,

Yes. When a field in Main table is of type Lookup Flat, ideally it would be projecting to Lookup table Display field. In your case, ex: When Employee data is created in a lookup table's Display field (Main table's Lookup flat) then it will be populated in Main table if appropriately linked to Main table's record.

Hope this information helps. Please check & let us know if any queries/concerns.

Regards,

Ali

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Prashant,

To achieve your requirement, you would need to create and assignment and execute the same so that new added values could be assigned to Main Table fields.

• But to assign the values in Main Table fields, there should be some common value existing in the Lookup Table record and the Main Table record, so that when the value match, it should assign appropriate value to the assignment field.

Note: You can assign the values of non-display fields also to the main table field values using the assignments. You would need to create the assignment accordingly.

I hope this would answer your query.

Thanks and Regards,

Ankush

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Prashant,

While creating the fields in Main table , there always exists an option called field type[Lookup main,lookup flat,text,Integer,etc]. Select Lookup Main as Field type & give appropriate table name (to be referenced). When fields are created in Main table's , its uniqueness & display function is also selected at same time.

Its very much possible to acces both table from EP at a given time. I aint sure about steps since i hae not worked on EP. But i a sure its possible.

Please check & let us know if any queries/concerns.

Regards,

Ali