cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

measure datatype error in Business Layer

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I have created an OLAP universe in IDT using XMLA middleware driver.

While creating a measure in the business layer or using a calculation from within the cube that do not return a numeric value, I noticed that I cannot save the datatype as String. When i try and save it, IDT automatically changes the datatype to numeric.

I was wondering if anyone has faced this issue before and if any resolution was found.

The reason this is an issue is because some of my measures do not return a numeric value and if it is saved as a numeric measure within the business layer, when using it in InfoView(web and desktop) the measures returns 0 instead of the correct result

i.e. if it should return the measure name([Customer].[Customer Hierarchy].[Customer First Name]) it returns 0 within the report.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

In the given example you are referred to Dimension or detail objects (([Customer].[Customer Hierarchy].[Customer First Name])) . By any means it is not a measure.

If you have any measures in your report with other than numeric data types you can't aggregate them unless some aggregate function like Min, MAX, Sum, Avg............ are used. So it is better to create them as detail objects.

Cheers,

Suresh Babu Aluri.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Suresh,

Thanks for your reply, that's what I ended up doing.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Every measure object in a universe should be defined with an aggregate function (SUM, MAX, MIN, etc).

Use to_char()   to convert your object to "Character".  So it wont turn to measure obejct