Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inbound delivery and Goods Receipt

former_member555628
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Gurus

We know , if there is an inbound delivery involved in a purchase order, WM activities get triggered before Goods Receipt posting. After the creation of Inbound del. document, we do putaway wih TO, confirm the TO, which creates negative quant.  Then after GR posting,  TR gets created --> TO gets created --> TO confirmed ---> positive quant is created, it nullifies the negative quant created previously, and stock is updated in the correct storage bin.

My question is why we care to do putaway with TO and confirm it before GR?  What is the significance of creating negative quant first? Why not we go directly like  the following.

Inbound del creation ---> GR posting --> TR and TO ---> quant creation.

Thanks,

Kumar.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Lets focus on the question, not on particular details.

I liked the question as I have never seen a logical explanation why I should putaway material to bins which have not yet been received.

Usually the docu says you do inbound deliveries for better planning. Okay an Advanced shipping notification received via EDI with good details that automatically creates the inbound delivery certainly helps on one hand.

On the other hand warehouse guys have their difficulties to understand why material A is done with Inbound delivery and material B not, or even material A from another vendor has no inbound delivery.

we had always the focus to post just in time and keep the info in SAP current. Which is usually posting goods receipt, then putaway what was received.

Doing this putaway first actually opens a kind of negative stock management what we always tried to avoid in IM.

What is the business case (apart from eWM that gets feeded with deliveries) to post a putaway earlier than the GR?

Whats the reason to not post the GR when it happened?

is the early putaway even prior to the physical receipt, just to reserve a space?

former_member555628
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks to everybody who has helped in posting replies to the question and helping me understand the topic.

Jürgen L, thank you very, very much for explaining my question properly. Yes, that's what I am looking for ,Why we are updating the WM with stock when in fact, stock has not arrived yet?

And thank you very much Dheeraj too. Yes, I figured it now that I was wrong when I mentioned "TR and TO is created and confirmed after GR posting, when TO is already confirmed for Inound del doc"

What I missed, that in these situations, we do "Post Goods Receipt" to Inbound deliveries, (not the MIGO 101) which concludes the process.

So, let me rephrase and put forward my following two questions only.

1) What I have seen, when the TO (created w.r.t Inbound delivery) is confirmed, the destination storage bin and storage type gets updated with the positive stock. This means, that WM is updated with stock, when in fact, stock has not physically arrived ..... it sounds wrong. what I am missing?

2) Since the TO creation and confirmation happens before GR, if it is found after physcial receipt of goods, that actual delivered quantity is different than Putaway qty, then how we adjust it?

If , at this stage, we go to Inbound del doc and try to change the del. qty , then system gives a hard error and prevents post goods receipt.

Thanks,

Kumar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kumar,

To answer both of your questions:

Q) What I have seen, when the TO (created w.r.t Inbound delivery) is confirmed, the destination storage bin and storage type gets updated with the positive stock. This means, that WM is updated with stock, when in fact, stock has not physically arrived ..... it sounds wrong. what I am missing?

A) WM stock is indeed updated in the destination bin with the positive quant and it is available to move within WM. However, the stock doesn't exist in IM yet so it can't be picked for any outbound process - just moved internally. Also, just to clarify, the negative quant is generated in the interim storage type first of all when the putaway is created. Once the actual GR occurs, it will automatically remove this stock from the negative quant and this is checked in the movement type config. This will result therefore, only on GR, that the stock has "increased" in WM.

Q) Since the TO creation and confirmation happens before GR, if it is found after physcial receipt of goods, that actual delivered quantity is different than Putaway qty, then how we adjust it?

If , at this stage, we go to Inbound del doc and try to change the del. qty , then system gives a hard error and prevents post goods receipt.

A) If the case is that the delivered quantity is greater than the quantity already putaway, a new inbound delivery can be created in order to putaway this new material. If this is not an option, the existing TO can be cancelled via transation LT0G (as long as the storage location is not HU maanged) and then modify the inbound delivery quantity.

It is also possible to modify the delivery quantity if the GR hasn't been posted, even if the TO is confirmed. What error are you seeing?

Regards,

Sinéad Curran

former_member555628
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Sinead

Thank you very much for your feedback.  That's what I was looking for

Btw, to answer your question, the error I am seeing, when I am trying to do Post Goods Receipt of Inbound del are

1) If the actual delivered qty < Putaway qty : "Picked qty is larger than the the qty delivered."

2) If the actual delivered qty > Putaway qty: "Delivery has not yet been picked/putaway (completely)".

Though , if I do a MIGO 101, system does not throw an error. But, that's not what I am supposed to do here.

Thanks & Regards,

Kumar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kumar,

I'm glad I could help!.

With regard to the VL019 message, what you can do is copy the putaway quantities as delivery quantities which will ensure that these two values match. This discrepancy can sometimes happen with unfavourable unit of measure conversions - I'm not sure if this is the case for you but maybe adopting the putaway quantity will help you with this error.

It should be possible to do a partial goods receipt for an inbound delivery - see SAP note 1360102. This outlines the cases where it should be possible.

If you do the GR in MIGO, you won't see these errors as there probably isn't an inbound delivery and the GR itself will generate the WM putaway. So in this case, there is no check against putaway and delivery quantities. Instead, the system will just putaway the amount posted on the goods receipt document.

I hope this helps.

Best regards,

Sinéad

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

This message was moderated.

dheeraj_vaishampayan
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

See your point but in your explanation u said after GR posting a TR TO is created, but initial line says u have confirmed the TO before GR posting, so in this case IM catches up with WM in terms of clearing the provision made in the form of negative stock.

finishing TO and confirmation before GR posting is a pretty common process and allows WH personnel to clear the pallets from Receipts area, GR signifies completion of the process.

Reg

Dheeraj

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kumar,

We can do both ways, the setting for doing the GR before TO creation is controlled in the below step.

IMG-> Logistics general-> Handling unit management-> Basics-> Delivery-> Define sequence of transfer order-goods receipt.

The main reason for creating the negative quant first is to make sure that the total stock in WM and IM are in synch at any given point of time.

Regards

Vijay

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Stock in IM is updated after GR. Stock in WM is updated after Putaway.  Availability Check is activated only at IM level.

Imagine a situation where, after GR posted first, but putaway in WM was delayed because of some reason.

Meanwhile a sales order is entered.  Since GR already posted, ATP check sees stock can be fulfilled. But the stock is physically not found in the storage bins.

To avoid such situation, it is suggested that we do putaway first and then GR.

This is my view. Experts may always correct me.

regards,

shetty

former_member555628
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Shetty,

You did provide a very nice example, but I would like to put up the following against your "To avoid such situation, it is suggested that we do putaway first and then GR.".

When , a TO is confirmed for putway against Inbound delivery, the material is placed in interim storage area with negative quant . Until the TO (which is created from TR after GR posting) is not confirmed, the negative quant is not nullifed and stock is not updated at the final storage type.

So, the putaway against Inbound delivery is not going to help in this case.... this is what I think.

Thanks,

Kumar