cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading Web dispatcher?

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have been looking on SAP Marketplace for a web dispatcher upgrade document.  Is there an upgrade procedure tool or document?  Or do you just install the new version?  I know web dispatcher is pretty simple file structure and for MS Cluster servers there is no install kit so you just copy the directory tree to build a new system (plus some other steps). 

To upgrade from 701 to 720_ext, do i just copy kernel files from another web dispatcher that I have that is 720_ext?  Start the system so it expands the admin SAR to the correct location and I am upgraded?  Are the rest of the files/structures the same?

I was thinking i could just install a new 720_ext web dispatcher on the same server, but i would prefer to keep the same ports and SID name.  Also, I would prefer not to have to recreate the PSE if i can avoid those steps.

Any suggestions or links?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member188883
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Fett,

You need to install the new version and re-configure it. There is no upgrade procedure for Web Dispatcher.

Regards,

Deepak Kori

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

The Webdispatcher upgrade is nothing more than a kernel upgrade. Download the Target  SAP Webdispatcher kernel (  Support Packages & Patches ) and upgrade the existing one.

Recently we have upgraded Webdispatcher from 711 to 720 in a similar way. Hope it helps.

Regards

Mudasir.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Mudasir H Syed wrote:

The Webdispatcher upgrade is nothing more than a kernel upgrade. Download the Target  SAP Webdispatcher kernel (  Support Packages & Patches ) and upgrade the existing one.

Technically maybe but I would first do the upgrade in an sandbox or development environment. Especially if you upgrade from the initial NW70 release (or even older), there have been quite many changes in Web Dispatcher. Some options might be deprecated, default values changed, new functionality added, etc. I wouldn't belittle the impact of the upgrade.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the information that there is no upgrade kit.

What I am wondering is can the 701 web dispatcher (on Windows) just be upgraded by patching the Kernel directory with a copy of a patched 720_EXT SAR from another up-to-date web dispatcher?  There is not much to the web dispatcher, mainly the kernel, profiles, security pses, and admin directory.  It would seem that copying a kernel from anothe 720_ext system would take care of kernel and admin directory.  would there be anything else that would keep this from being a valid upgrade method?

former_member188883
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Fett,

When you copy the SAP kernel you shall get latest Webdispatcher SAR files which are part of that kernel version. You need to extract these SAR files and complete the setup process inorder to make it workable,

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Deepak Kori

Reagan
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Here is the upgrade document :

http://service.sap.com/~form/sapnet?_SHORTKEY=01100035870000659894&_OBJECT=011000358700001420192012E

In fact the first link will guide you to the upgrade document.

Good Luck

RB

Reagan
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos