cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Space in SAP Server is very less.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear All,

We have SAP ECC 6.0 installed in our machine which has Oracle Database in background.

SAP is installed in E drive and There are 2 folders of Oracle present in both C and E drive.

But I guess Oracle is installed in C drive. Because whenever I create new Objects in SAP, space of C drive is utilized.

Now my main concern is :

The space left in C drive = 13 GB and in other drive is approx 51 GB.

We have one more drive which is recently attached to machine with space = 500 GB.

Does any one know what would happen happen if whole C drive is utilized. How my SAP Server performance will be affected?

Once  C drive full, does the SAP Server will automatically start using the new Drive?

Please guide.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

yogesh-garg
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Suruchi,

First check your datafiles directories location ( SAPDATA2,SAPDATA3,SAPDATA4 directories), there location is <Drive>/oracle/<SID>/datafiles( SAPDATA2,SAPDATA3,SAPDATA4).

If your drive here is C then whenever you increase tablespace size it goes in C drive.

So its better when you increase tablespace size by adding datafile using br*tools then give path of new drive( having space of 500 GB) .Now C drive remains ineffective.

If your C drive is wholly utilized then SAP Server will not automatically start using the new Drive,you have to do this manually( using same process as i have told b'fore).Also server performance is degaraded. So it is recommended not to use C drive for SAP & Oracle.

Regards

Yogesh Garg

former_member188883
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Suruchi,

It is not a good practice to have SAP and Oracle files in the C:\Drive as it normally holds the OS installations.

Incase C:\Drive holds the OS and it is full, your system will stop working.

As a contingency you need to add a new datafile in the new drive which has 500 GB so that tablespace has a room to grow using the space in that drive.

Also you may need to stop the auto grow option for datafiles in C:\Drive ( if you have any datafiles in this drive).

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Deepak Kori

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Deepak,

Can you please suggest me how to do the above thing which you mentioned since I have no idea about that.

former_member215961
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

I would make sure what contains the oracle directories and if contain the db data files then i will relocated those to E drive doing:

- stop sap ( stop oracle if stopsap command doesn't stop it yet and stop listener)

- then i will copy those files to E drive

- startup oracle mout mode: sqlplus "as sysdba" startup mount

- rename the datafiles: alter database rename datafile "old path" "new path of datafile";

- startup open.

Cheers

former_member188883
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Suruchi,

Incase you are referring to adding a datafile, you can use brtools to do that.

Refer link http://naveenkumarsr.wordpress.com/2011/10/27/adding-datafiles-using-brtools-in-oracle/

for the steps.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Deepak Kori