cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Difference Between Hybrid app and Native app

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I'm new to SAP Mobility, and I have just started exploring about it. I know you can develop apps in different ways using SUP. Now I read at many places that Hybrid App's cannot be a complete offline App at the same time it is stated that they can do synchronization by storing events in a queue.

Can some one tell me what this means? What is a complete offline app? why cant it be build as a Hybrid app?

Thanks and Regards,

Pratheek

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

0 Kudos

Hi Pratheek,

you can use a Offline App without a connection to the internet. So this means that you have to load (e.g. if you have a connection) and store your data on the device.

As the name "Online App" says, this kind of app needs a connection to the internet.

A Hybrid App is limited in using the device hardware. So, it is also limited in storing your data on the device, which is needed for an complete offline szenario.

Regards,

Maximilian

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Thanks a Lot for your reply. So does that mean that I should not use Hybrid App if its an offline scenario?

I have another doubt, is data stored in SUP's cache or Device Memory? If it can be stored in Device Memory why do we need SUP CDB???

Sorry If the question is silly, Im trying to learn this but currently I dont have a system access, so its a bit difficult to understand these things.

Regards,

Pratheek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Pratheek,

Hybrid application is not for offline scenario.

Data will get  stored in both Device memory and SUP's CDB.  CDB will have the copy of data which is available in the EIS(Enterprise Information System)  simply your backend. Whenever a device is subscribing for required information from CDB, CDB will get the data from the backend and will update the device. So by this time data will be available in both CDB and Device. CDB will contain data of all the subscribers and device memory will have its own data. for more information you can refer sybase infocenter.

Happy Coding

Dinesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Dinesh,

So CDB is just another cache in between your Device and Backend right? So will we have to control CDB as well or will the SUP decide the data stored in  CDB?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Pratheek,

The Logic it works is likes as follows,

I think your aware about BAPI's in SAP and MBO's in SUP.

So, by consuming the BAPI which are getting exposed from SAP backend, we will create a MBO. MBO is a table which contains the parameters from BAPI. and some CRUD functions to work on it. After creating an MBO we will deploy it into SUP (Brand change happened now: SAP Mobile Platform)

server. This will create a table in our CDB, with the schema of the particular MBO. Now we can control the data loading into CDB, by doing a MBO property configuration and data loading in device also.

Data loading between CDB and EIS is known as "Data Refresh"

Data loading between CDB and Device is known as "Data Synchronization".

Data loading mechanism in SUP

Happy Coding

Dinesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Dinesh,

Thanks Now I have a basic Idea, I will work my way around.

Thanks for your Time.

Regards,

Pratheek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Pratheek,

All the best for learnign in SAP-Mobility.

HappyCoding

Dinesh

former_member184247
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Pratkeek

Yes,

Hybrid App's cannot be a complete offline App. They can do synchronization by storing events in a queue.

Check this thread Native App vs Hybrid App.

HWC applications are meant only for developing small scale applications(like approval scenarios)  so they cannot be a complete offline app.

where Native applications are meant for Large scale applications.

SUP 2.2 version allows us to store data on device cache in HWC apps as shown in blog

Building Offline(Display Only) Hybrid Web Container Mobile Applications With Sybase Unwired Platform

For Caching refer SUP Caching By Example - Webinar Slides

and  MOB262: Build Synchronized Mobile Apps with the Sybase Unwired Platform

This may help you.

Regards

Sumeet S

hofmann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hybrid App's cannot be a complete offline App

They can. This depends on the design and task of the app. If it's just using information already available on the device, a backend connection is not needed.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

mark_wright
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

If your willing to put some work into it, there is the possibility of using RBS in the Hybrid Container to obtain full offline sync. 

http://scn.sap.com/community/developer-center/mobility-platform/blog/2012/11/15/adding-native-object...