cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Container based App VS HTML5 App

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi ,

We donot want to use Hybrid Web container , but want to develop OData based Hybird app on SUP 2.2 . The development flow for may apps will be :

1. Add the <SUP_HOME>\UnwiredPlatform \MobileSDK<version>\HybridApp\API\Containers\datajs-1.0.3.js to my  Hybrid App.
  2. Create a Hybrid App user interface with Phonegap  UI framework.
  3. Use the Datajs library for create, read, update, and delete operations to the OData or HTTP end point and bind it to the UI.
  4. Use the packaging tool to generate the manifest.xml file and Hybrid App ZIP package.
  5. Use the Deploy Wizard in Sybase Control Center to deploy the Hybrid App ZIP file.

So my questions are:

a)Do I need to access this app using HWC only , or is there any other way to access this deployed app.I am not using any MBO , just calling OData service.

b) Is the development approach possible , as stated above. Can someone please send me any blogs on it.

c)What are the benefits of using container rather than developing HTML5 app

d)Do I need any webservers like Apache or tomcat for approach stated above?

e)Can i use Relay server as my proxy in case i donot use HWC.

Regards

Nidhideep

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Dan_vL
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

The following sample may be helpful.

Sample:  Getting Started With OData in SAP Mobile Platform 2.2 and 2.3 https://cw.sdn.sap.com/cw/docs/DOC-153015

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Daniel,

Can you please give some suggestions for my above questions.I am expecting straight forward suggestions for the above two questions.

Please suggest on this.

Thanks in Advance,

Hemagiri

Dan_vL
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

<<1. If i use phonegap in my app and runs it in HWC , will my app gets an access to use barcode feature ?

I don't believe Phonegap provides a built in api for a barcode scanner.

The api's are documented at

http://docs.phonegap.com/en/2.0.0/index.html

To extend phonegap, one would write a plugin to implement the custom functionality.  See

http://docs.phonegap.com/en/2.0.0/guide_plugin-development_index.md.html#Plugin%20Development%20Guid...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Daniel,

Thanks a lot for your valuable suggestion for my first question and for the provided links.

Regards,

Hemagiri Seerapu

david_brandow
Contributor
0 Kudos

4., 5. If you do not plan on using HWC, then there is no logical reason I can think of to generate a manifest.xml file or to deploy it to the server.

a), b) Its certainly possible to build HTML5/OData-based apps that don't run inside the container. There is no way that I'm aware of to access the application provisioning feature, though, you'd need to publish your app either as a traditional web app or by wrapping it in a Phonegap-style native app and distribute that to your users as you would a traditional native app.

c) To list a few - encrypted storage, secure messaging, user security (including X.509, SSO), application provisioning, native device functionality, ease of development.

d) If you choose to publish it as a traditional web app, then yes, you will need a web server.

e) In this scenario, its not clear to me where the relay server would go, as you would not be accessing the SUP server, it would presumably be a direct connection between your app and the OData source. That being said, I suspect the answer is yes.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello David,

I developed HTML5 OData application using SUP2.2 ( using datajs file & not following MBO approach)

I installed HWC (Hybrid Web Container) in iphone and able to test the application in real device (iphone) . Here my application is running in HWC .I read that hybrid app's runs inside HWC doesn't provide access to native device features . But, i am targeting to use Barcode Scanner in my app. My question is

1. If i use phonegap in my app and runs it in HWC , will my app gets an access to use barcode feature ?

2. I am Registering a device ( includes Servername,template,FarmId, Activationcode) in Sybase Control Center . Once my device comes to Online, i am assigning the Hybrid App to the Online device, and then i can see my app in device. I am doing this process manually. How to make this process automatically . I mean , i am expecting my app to come and fall in the container automatically instead of assigning from SCC ?

Please suggest.

Thanks in Advance,

Hemagiri Seerapu

david_brandow
Contributor
0 Kudos

1. PhoneGap doesn't include barcode functionality, you'd need to add custom native code to the HWC and provide access to it from JavaScript using PhoneGap.

2. It sounds to me like you should be prepackaging your hybrid app inside the HWC when you build it.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks a lot David.

The first answer is very much helpful to me. I will proceed with that.

While coming to second answer, i am packaging the developed Hybrid App (using Packaging tool) into HybridApp_Name.zip , deploying it into Server and assigned it to Online device. I have the Objective-C code which installs HWC in Simulator .  But, Pre-packaging inside HWC before build ? . Can you please explain a bit on this. It is not so clear to me at this moment .

Please suggest.

Thanks,

Hemagiri Seerapu

david_brandow
Contributor