Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

System Copy Question - EHP

JAMpe
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Experts,

I'm having this situation:

I have a DEV, QAS, PRD landscape for SAP ERP. They're not in the same release. DEV is ERP 6.0 and QAS & PRD are ERP 6.0 EHP5. I know its weird. I want to go through EHP6 so as I'm not having DEV in the same release I first plan to do some EHP6 test in a sandbox (PRD copy) and the go through EHP6 in QAS, then I want to make a system Copy of QAS (with EHP6) with R3load method and replace the DEV system. Is there a problem with replacing a development system? I know that some things will be lose, like customer program versions, anything else? Any recomendation before trying this strategy?

DB: Oracle 11G.

Thanks for your time. regards,

JAM

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello JAM,

- Is the system copy to DEV a homogeneous or a heterogeneous system copy ?

- Which OS have you in DEV ?

- and by the way the step from ERP6.0 EhP5 to ERP6.0 EhP6 is maybe a big step (SAP NW 7.02 to 7.31 - see please Francois input)

Regards,

Richard

francois_keen
Participant
0 Kudos

hello Jam

EhP6 is on NW 7.31... there is something you need to take into consideration :  obviously you/your developpers will want to save some existing objects from DEV. 

transporting your objects from your existing DEV (which may be sitting on NW 700 or 701) into your new copied EhP6 731 system that you'd like to become your new dev system may be a problem : please pay attention to note 1090842

Thomas is also pointing 2 very good points that are usually not part of the usual system copy topics : the TMS config as you will be replacing your domain controller and the dev keys

cheers

Francois

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hallo,

not sure why you would refresh DEV from QAS rather than PRD.

Apart from versioning there are other things you will loose but would like to keep.

In general you can keep 'stuff" by exporting the related tables and reimporting them after the refresh.

Things you might want to consider to keep are:

• Database connections (you might don't want your DEV talking to other production systems)
  • Background jobs (you might don't want DEV running background jobs, e.g. creating notifications and sending them to customers)
  • RFC connections (same than database connections)
  • TMS configuration (DEV is the domain controller, so you should try to keep the configuration; screen dumps?)
  • Email restrictions (maybe DEV is only allowed to send to certain email addresses rather than to everyone)
  • Developer keys
  • FTP servers DEV is allowed to talk to

Also: don't forget you transports (change requests). All transports you want to keep have to be released and you have to check if the co- and data-file exists.

Regards,

Thomas.

Reagan
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello

The standard practice suggested is to perform the upgrade on a sandbox system before upgrading the whole landscape. This is what you are planning to do so it should be OK.

Secondly when it comes to the DEV environment you probably should check with the development team whether they are OK with rebuild of the DEV with the copy of QAS or PRD.

SAP does not recommend refreshing the development system but there are customers doing that once in a while.

If you want to retain the version history of the repository objects then check this SAP Note.

Note 130906 - How can versions be transported?

When you do an EHP upgrade the upgrade brings in a new version of the kernel, so if you are doing a system refresh for the development system then make sure you put the kernel that comes with the EHP6. Basically the kernel used on the Sandbox, QAS and PRD systems.

Cheers

RB