Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ORA-1691 unable to extend issue with tablespace

former_member209962
Participant
0 Kudos

Dear All,

Last week we faced one issue, users were  not able to update anything in database in sm13 update was getting deactivated and system was throwing dump and all the work process were in running status.

When we checked alert log we came to know that one of the tablespace was full

ORA-1691: unable to extend lobsegment SAPSR3.SYS_LOB0000189627C00005$$ by 8192 in tablespace              PSAPSR3701X

Hence we increased tablespace PSAPSR3 and issue was solved partially as there were some network issue as well.

But my question is all tablespace have Autoextend then how come tablespace got full?

Please see below screen shot from db02 and let us know is there any other tablespace is getting full because as per my understanding if we keep autoextend on then it should extent automatically?

Kindly advice

Thanks

Tabrayz

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

HuseyinBilgen
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Tabrayz,

It is better to extend SYSTEM tablespace by %20 at least and I guess you can delete the tablespace PSAPSR3701. Did you upgrade your system?

former_member209962
Participant
0 Kudos

Dear Huseyin,

Thanks for your recommendation how many GB space can we add?  and also is there any issue if i extend space when SAP is up & running and users are working?

Is there any other tablespace i need to worry about?

Thanks

Tabrayz

HuseyinBilgen
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi again,

General recoomendation is to keep empty space for monthly growth. So, for each tablespace you can check the weekly, monthly growth via TCODE: DB02. Take an annual average for monthly growth and always keep that empty space, even your tablespaces are on autoextend.

Autoextent has some side effects. THe tablespace grows on datafiles which are set for autoextent. But you may need to consider growth on new datafiles to distribute load on different disks.

Thats why I always do the growth manually.

Answer to your second question is: Do the resizing while there is less or no activity as during extend operation, Oracle was putting lock on that datafile (At least in old releases AFAIR)

Regards

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

yogesh-garg
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi

former_member209962
Participant
0 Kudos

Dear Yogesh,

Thanks for the detail explanation.

Thanks

Tabrez

Former Member
0 Kudos

But my question is all tablespace have Autoextend then how come tablespace got full?

Autoextend option has maxsize clause with which you can limit file size growth to specified value. In that case tablespace can be expanded but has limit as

limit = 0;

foreach datafile in tablespace

if autoexend on

limit += datafile.maxsize;

else

limit += datafile.size;

Reagan
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello

ORA-1691: unable to extend lobsegment SAPSR3.SYS_LOB0000189627C00005$$ by 8192 in tablespace PSAPSR3701X

Hence we increased tablespace PSAPSR3 and issue was solved partially as there were some network issue as well.

Are you sure that the problem is NOT with the PSAPSR3701X tablespace and it is with PSAPSR3.

The ORA error points to tablespace PSAPSR3701X

Check whether all the datafiles are in Auto Extend mode and there is space in the file system they reside.

Cheers

RB

former_member209962
Participant
0 Kudos

Dear Reagan,

As i said issue was solved after adding some data files to tablespace SAPSR3.

All the tablespace have auto extend on, you can see the same in my screen shot above.

Thanks

Tabrayz

former_member206552
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Tabrayz

please have a loot at

Note 3155 - Termination due to tablespace overflow

Best Regards

Marius