cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Understanding Vehicle Resources and the Optimizer

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi there,

I'm looking into how to better use vehicle resources in a TM 8.0 environment to plan FUs based on a dimension other than weight. 

In this case we have several dimensional pieces of equipment travelling together over rail. The equipment itself is quite light but takes up a large amount of space and therefore only one piece of equipment can be transported on a single railcar.  From an execution perspective we have decided to create individual Forwarding orders for each railcar carrying a piece of this equipment and there is a single FU created for each FWO. 

When planning these orders the optimizer is consolidating several FUs onto one Freight Order because it is only considering the weight of the FU which is much less than the weight capacity set up for our vehicle resource.  Is there a way for us to set up our vehicle resource in a way that the size of the equipment (defined in the product assigned to the FU) would be considered by the optimizer when building Freight Orders?

Thanks

Rob Hesje

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We can  define in a freight unit building rule the dimensions and units of measurement that will be taken into consideration for the vehicle capacity  in planning.

We can choose up to eight dimensions and units of measurement to describe the capacity of a resource( here vehicle resource) and  the mass and volume are predefined by default.

regards

Datta

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Datta thanks for your response.

Are you referring to the Planning Quantities on the freight unit building rule?  There are some different units here but all I am seeing are weights, volumes and piece counts.

Am I looking in the right place?