cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dynamic Host Name in FTP Receiver Communication Channel

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

I have the following scenario: I have to send a file using a ftp, but the receivers are 250 or more. The receivers have a different host names, so my first solution is create 250 business systems and each one with ftp receiver communication channel. This solution is very little maintainable (Do you imagine have 250 Business Systems in the Integration Directory?) furthermore these ftp receivers could be more in the future.

My question is: There are any way to get dynamically the host name for the ftp receiver communication channel?. I have tried using Variable Substitution and Java Mapping with Dynamic Configuration, but I cannot get the host name parameter of the ftp communication channel.

Thanks,

Julian

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

Thanks for your comments. Definitely the maintainability and the monitoring to the whole solution were the big reasons to develop just one communication channel.

The final solution was to develop a RFC in ABAP and this RFC sends the file via FTP using the standard function modules (HTTP_SCRAMBLE, FTP_CONNECT, FTP_R3_TO_SERVER, FTP_DISCONNECT, RFC_CONNECTION_CLOSE). This RFC get data for the FTP connection (host, user, password), these are stored in a customizing table.  This RFC was called in PI instead of a FTP adapter.

Regards,

Julian

ambrish_mishra
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

HI Julian,

Curious to know the details of your solution. Does the RFC call the receiver system directly in ECC or if you have a receiver comm channel, how are the host name and other details populated in the channel through RFC.

Thanks

Ambrish

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ambrish,

We have a PI with dual stack (ABAP + Java) so I developed a RFC in PI ABAP Stack. This RFC receives the business information for the external FTP system. Inside the RFC I get the information about host name, user and password FTP. These information is stored in a customizing tables in this stack. Finally this RFC sends the business information using the standard function modules (HTTP_SCRAMBLE, FTP_CONNECT, FTP_R3_TO_SERVER, FTP_DISCONNECT, RFC_CONNECTION_CLOSE).

In PI I do not use a FTP adapter for send information, otherwise I use a RFC adapter. I imported the RFC created in PI ABAP Stack into PI ESR and I use it like a inbound interface. Finally I use this inbound interface and the RFC adapter for send the information.

Regards,

Julian

ambrish_mishra
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

thanks Julian

ambrish_mishra
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Julian,

From your post, it seems like you have to send the same file to these 250 file systems.

Can you convince your client if PI can send the file generated to one central file system and this system can propagate the file to other file systems in the landscape. This will be faster and sustainable.

hope it helps!

Ambrish

Bhargavakrishna
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
udo_martens
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Julian,

one idea to create a dynamic solution would be using directory's API - may be triggered from a mapping program.

http://scn.sap.com/community/pi-and-soa-middleware/blog/2012/10/12/using-pi-73-s-directory-api

Another idea is to extend the adapter by a module - to that you can take the host from payload or ASMA fields.

I agree with you that it would not be a satifying solution to create one (virtual) system having 250 Channels, but it will be nevertheless hard to maintain.

/Udo

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Julian,

A tread with similar query

http://scn.sap.com/thread/122671

Regards,

Sushil.