cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

File scenario: Writing to and reading from a folder - Conflict?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am currently setting up a scenario, where IDocs are converted to a flat file structure and are written to a file (APPEND) in a certain directory on a I5 (Iseries) platform. There are up to 10 IDocs every day. Once a day, always at the same time, a third-party FTP software reads the content of this file, sends it to an external party and makes the file empty again.

Will there be a problem when at the same time XI and the third party application access the flatfile? If yes, what do you suggest to prevent conflicts?

Thanks in advance.

Christoph G.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

MichalKrawczyk
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

XI has a feature that enables it to check file twice before polling

(just after a few milisec) to check if the file got any bigger during this time

maybe your FTP soft has a similar feature?

Regards,

michal

-

<a href="/people/michal.krawczyk2/blog/2005/06/28/xipi-faq-frequently-asked-questions"><b>XI / PI FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions</b></a>

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

thank you for the feedback. I will check the third party software for this feature next week.

However, your suggestion is interesting for me as there will also be a scenario where the third party software once a day receives and stores a flatfile to a file folder from where XI will poll the file once a day. Here this "double-check" you mentioned could be useful. Where can I set it?

Besides, I still hope that the OS and/or the applications (XI and third-party software) automatically prevent conflicts by some kind of access management.

Thanks again,

Christoph

MichalKrawczyk
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

>>>>Here this "double-check" you mentioned could be useful. Where can I set it?

in file adapter - standard configuration

Regards,

michal

Former Member
0 Kudos

Christoph, You can check the "Msecs to wait fr Modification chk" opion in the File CC to dbl chk.

Also, May i suggest you write the file using XI with a diff name(or in a diff folder) than what the FTP s/w is polling for. Then, perform a OS level copy to a differnt name(or write to a dif folder where the FTP s/w is expecting the file)using scripts(scripts can again be called by using the OS command execution feature of File CC).

Since you are doing a APPEND using XI, this COPY will happen multiple times when using OS commands, you can perform a FORCED COPY(I believe there should be a way to avoid the ALERT thrown overwriting the same file with new file every time during APPEND). Hope you got my idea, just think on these lines as well. Good Luck

Regards

Saravana