cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

File is derived warning everytime i make change in NWDS

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Everyone ,

Whenever i try to make changes in a DC view or controller it shows a popup stating "This File is derived .Do you really want to edit it ?" .

I have tried to right click on the jave file and deselect the Derived check box but still shows the same . Please help me on this regard .

Thank you so much in advance

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Qualiture
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

I noticed this behavior once in a specific NWDS version (can't recall which one)

You could try and set the checkbox in Windows > Preferences > Web Dynpro and check the property 'Disable warning dialog for custom code modification'

Hope this helps!

Robin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Robin,

Thank you so much for the reply but i couldnt find any such option in the windows->preferences .Please help me resolve this issue .

Thank you .

Qualiture
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Ghousia,

Which version of NWDS are you using?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Robin ,

I am using NWDS 7.2 SP06 .

Qualiture
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am using NWDS 7.3 right now, so I'm not sure if the property does not exist in 7.2, but this is my propertysheet:

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

In addition to Gareth Ryans statement you should have a look at the DTR perspective. In a Web Dynpro DC you will see some folders that starts with " gen ". All files in these folders are being generated by the NWDS when saving any changes. Files that are not version controlled by the DTR are marked with a little blue house. All files in these gen-folders (in a Web Dynpro-DC) should have been marked with this house ...

Former Member
0 Kudos

This is a mostly annoying "feature" of NWDS when working with many of the SAP technologies...

You have to remember that many of the development frameworks, such as CAF, BPM, Web Dynpro Java, etc. all depend on many, many files of meta and model data, describing the development objects you are modelling and building.  These files are generated when you save and build changes to your model and meta data objects, such as when adding an attribute to a Web Dynpro context or adding an element to a CAF Business Object for example.

Changing the modelled objects using wizards, clever gui's and frameworks in this way is great, as it adds a lot of useful tools and shortcuts to quickly develop objects - however the payoff is that you are quite removed from all of the files that are generated behind the scenes.

With some of the solutions, for example Web Dynpro Java, when you then go to add custom code in places you are essentially editing a file that has been generated as a result of your meta and model data in the other parts of your Web Dynpro DC, hence NWDS likes to warn you that you are editing a code that has been derived elsewhere.

This warning can be useful, when for instance you accidentally open a java file that is 100% generated and shouldn't be changed, or accidentally edit an xml file hidden somewhere in your BPM DC that completely breaks your process.

Like so many similar "features" it is annoying, up until the point you turn it off and then it doesn't stop you from editing and breaking a file you really shouldn't.

Hope this helps,

Gareth.

p.s. I have it turned off so it doesn't bother me every day and mostly don't break stuff

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi,

Uncheck the checkbox as in screen shot below. That should solve your problem.

Regards

Ranjith

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Robin and Ranjith ,

Thanks for the reply this will stop showing me the warning message but will it not effect the code in anyway because i have observed that the latest code is not seen anymore once the latest code changes are transported to another system .

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

That must be a problem with your transport mechanism.

I have been using this setting from the beginning and never had any problem with transports.

Regards

Ranjith

Qualiture
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

This setting only affects your local NWDS / Eclipse setting and should not interfere with any code changes during transports...

Unless you're changing internally generated files, these are most likely re-generated during a (new) build, eliminating any changes you may have made. But normal, publicly editable derived files such as Web Dynpro Java should maintain the code changes (as long as you stay within the respective 'begin' and 'end' annotations)