cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A Simple question about SAP LT, SAP BW and SAP HANA

Jonathan_Haun
Participant
0 Kudos

I am not looking to implement a solution based on my question, but someone asked me about this recently and I was not able to find a answer. The question is this:

Can SLT replicate data stored in SAP BW to SAP HANA?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (6)

Answers (6)

vivekbhoj
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Jonathan,

SLT can be used to replicate data stored in SAP BW to SAP HANA as described below:

1.)  Consumption of HANA data in BW, with real-time replication into HANA DB:

• SLT replicates into HANA Table
  • BW Objects can consume  HANA Views directly

http://scn.sap.com/message/13882133

Former Member
0 Kudos

Jonathan ,

From SP5 you can use SLT to replicated data from BW to HANA.

SLT for SAP BW: ready for proof-of-concepts and prototyping projects

Kindly see below url.

Real-time Data Warehousing with SAP LT Replication Server (SLT) for SAP NetWeaver BW

http://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-40250

rindia
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Mahesh,

Thanks for the document.

If you observe closely you will find that source is SAP ECC and target is SAP BW with HANA.

Bot no where we can find SAP BW as source and SAP HANA as target using SLT.

Regards

Raj

Former Member
0 Kudos

For BW we can use SLT very much as i know....Soon you will new documents will be available.

tobias_koebler
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi,

in gerneral - SLT can only replicate table with key fields. Some BW tables have no key fields ==> no chance for replication.

Replication from BW PSA tables to an other BW system into the PSA tables can be achieved.

Best,

Tobas

henrique_pinto
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Good insight.

Jonathan_Haun
Participant
0 Kudos
  1. Thanks. Unfortunately that was not the basis of the question. The question was based on “Can I take data stored in BW and replicate it directly to SAP HANA”. Again, I don’t see the need to do this give the number of alternatives, but I was asked the question at SAPPHIRE and did not know the answer.
Jonathan_Haun
Participant
0 Kudos

This sounds like it should be the correct answer. Given the way that the triggers work, you would need a key to replicate it. There was also a response that mentioned that you would not be able to access the metadata layer and therefore would lose some of the logic and transformation. Overall it sounds like there is limited support for this and (at the same time) it is a bad solution.

I think the customer was looking for non-disruptive way to take modeled data from BW and replicate it to SAP HANA as a "side-car" solution. Sounds like they would be better off using Data Services or better off sourcing ECC with DXC or SLT.

henrique_pinto
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I wouldn't recommend neither.

BW on HANA is the way to go in this case. It's an overall non-disruptive upgrade process, you can keep using the extractors, transformations etc. you're already using, and will have advantages on both queries and loads.

Jonathan_Haun
Participant
0 Kudos

I would agree with that but I got the impression that they did not have the funds to buy the proper number of HANA units to support their full BW implementation. They were looking for an easy way to get a subset of their data into SAP HANA for use with BOBJ Explorer.

henrique_pinto
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

hmmm. I get it.

Maybe another possibility would be to keep two separate BW isntances - one on HANA, on one classic DB. It's not the best landscape, but I'd say it'd be much less painful to maintain than that HANA sidecar to a BW instance...

Or, furthermore, since BO Explorer is a rather "flat table" scan and actually mroe of a relational view and not really multidimensional, you could skip BW altogether and implement a new Data Mart on HANA modeling (attribute/analytic/calc views).

Jonathan_Haun
Participant
0 Kudos

As a SAP Data Services and HANA native guy I like the second option. That's actually what I recommended but they were a little scared about learning a new tool and process.

Thanks for all the insight.

Former Member
0 Kudos

SLT can be used for BW -> HANA replication no matter you are on SP4 or 5. However for BW Data analysis you would still need BODS / HANA Excel or whatever else supports your cause.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jonathan,

Yes SLT can replicate data from SAP BW into HANA, but the recommended approach is to use BODS or DXC...

Hope your question is answered...

Thanks,

Nithesh.

Jonathan_Haun
Participant
0 Kudos

How can DXC replicate data from BW to HANA? I though DXC was batch only and did not run on SAP BW?

umashankar_poojar
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Jonathan,

Refer the document in this link

Definitely it clarifies your questions on SAP LT Replication server.

Thanks,

Umashankar

rindia
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Umashankar,

The document is old SPS 04 and there are many number of changes in SPS 05

One example is Importing BW models into HANA is possible only from SPS 05 or higher.

By the way what's your answer (Yes/No)?

Regards

Raj

rindia
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

As per my knowledge, the answer is no.

The alternate ways of getting data from BW into HANA:

1. File -> Import -> BW models
  2. Through ETL, BODS.
  3. Direct Extractor Connection (DXC).

If anyone says answer is yes, I would like to know what is the connection type for RFC connection and would be great if there is any document which defines the process.

Regards

Raj

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Raj, are there any prerequisite  steps to be followed before implementing

1. File -> Import -> BW models.

in HANA studio?

Regards,

Sravan

rindia
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Sravan,

In Developer guide page 257, you have all the Information related to Importing BW.

Link: Developer Guide SPS07

Regards

Raj

henrique_pinto
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

In theory, SLT can trigger any replication based on insert, update or delete statements triggered by the ABAP Application Server towards the underlying DB. Of course you'd lose most of the semantic information which resides in the application logic of BW and not in the underlying data model, but yes, in theory you could.