cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WM "Borrowing" Parts

0 Kudos

We use WM, and in this one plant one storage location, we have people that want to borrow material... to do various trouble shooting.  Often the same part is borrowed by multiple people at the same time.  I would like to be able move this material to specific smart WM locations so that we can tell it is being borrowed, and how long it has been out on borrow.  I am taking this approach because I still need this to net to MRP.

A example of the WM move would be to use LT01 999 from location "A-10-24" to "marks".

However here the problems I foresee:  1) It will still come up as a pickable item on a kit.  2) When we go put material away it could choose that location as last put-away default (I am trying to avoid this).

There are “Special Stock” and “Material Movement Type” options.  I am assuming these are configurable and that maybe they could help avoid the kitting attempts and the default location attempts.  Does anyone know how I could pull this off and avoid those problems?

Mark

SAP GUI
File Version: 7200.3.7.3213
Build: 1259430
Patch Level: 7

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

you could move it to an extra storage bin and you could lock that bin for picking. of course you have to unlock that bin when the material gets returned, which causes extra work.

But whatever you do in WM only, does not be reflect in MM, SD, PP, that is on one hand your MRP run as expected, but on the other hand this part of the stock is still considered as available for sales orders or for consumption in production orders.which could be a conflict.

How quick could you get this borrowed material back to fulfill a sales order if no other stock is left?

0 Kudos

Thanks

It varies, it could be an hour, it could be weeks.  Part of this process is to help manage that.  I will check this out and get back to let you know if it is viable solution. 

Mark

0 Kudos

So as you mention, it is extra work to unlock the bin... but we didn't really use LS06 or LS08 at all, so it gives us a fair solution.  We are going to lock all the borrow bin locations with the Putaway Block but not the Stock Removal Block, that will solve more then half of our expected problems.  It is interesting though, LX02 and LS24, PB & RB columns don't show any indication of blocked. LS03N does.

Thanks again!

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

LX02 has only the PB and RB at quant level, when you set the block using LS07

0 Kudos

I had a setback, I was not understanding that a Putaway bock stops all inbound movements, I was thinking it was just Good Receipts.  So now I am not sure if this is worth it unless there is some way (maybe Storage Type), that is can work.

And for reference, is there a way to get it to show in LX02 or LS24?  Do you bock it using another transaction code, or???

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

you can block at storage type level, at bin level and at quant level, LX02 will only show quant level blocks

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

One suggestion.....You could "block" the quantity in MM/IM, reflecting this movement in the WM and only after transfer this blocked quantity to the specific storage bin to represent the borrow.

As the stock in MM will be blocked (status "S") this quantity won´t be available for picking in PP or SD for instance....