cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Impact of increasing the "Maximum Character Stream Size (MB)" value on the Webi Processing server?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Community Members,

Of late we are seeing this issue when viewing  and scheduling a few WEBI Reports.

The error we are receiving is: Maximum character output size limit reached. Contact your BusinessObjects administrator. (Error: ERR_WIS_30272)”

A little bit of investigation over SAP xsearch and Google revealed that the resolution is to increase the value in the WebiProcessingServer properties.

I also read that increasing this value would result in performance issues.

I would appreciate if someone can help me understand why this issue occurs and what is the impact on increasing this value?

I would like to know why would there be a performance issue when this value is raised?

Thanks,

Vikram.V

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Henry_Banks
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi,

no, i've never know a perf issue for increasing this.

i quite regularly do the following:

• Increase the default "Maximum Character Stream Size" for the
    WebIntelligenceProcessingServer from "5" to 10Mb.
  • Increase the default "Maximum Binary Stream" for the
    WebIntelligenceProcessingServer from "50" to 150Mb.

there are loads of SAP Notes out there is your search at www.service.sap.com/notes  with the keywords in the error text above.

regards,

H

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Henry,

Thanks for the reply. Yep, I have gone through the SAP notes and they only talk about why this issue occurs and how to resolve it but they do not convey any information if this would result in any performance issues.

If we search the SCN forum using the error keywords, I see a few replies which state that this could result in performance issues.

For the reports that are receiving this error, I see that increasing the value from 5 MB to 30 MB resolves it. Is 30 MB ok?

Thanks in advance.

-Vikram.V

Henry_Banks
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

because the situation will be specific to each enviornment.  You will have to monitor the landscape and decide accordingly.

Former Member
0 Kudos

So Henry are you saying it might have performance issues when increased to 30 MB?

-Vikram.V

Henry_Banks
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

i'm suggesting you need to monitor your platform to qualify your response. it depends on so many factors...

personally, i wouldnt worry about it. but it sounds like yours reports are "heavy" so perhaps the concern should be focused elsewhere. i.e. report/query design. 

Answers (0)