Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing password expiry

daniel_piggott-genge
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello,

We are planning to change our password expiry from 42 days to 90 days in our Production system.

To do this we are changing the login/password_expiration_time parameter which should be fine and also making changes on the Portal but my question is,

Has anyone done this and what effect does it have ?

We are unsure how it will effect existing users. Will their passwords all reset instantly?, will they carry on for the rest of their 42 days and reset and then have 90 or will they have 90 days added on? will they start a new 90 days so not resetting their existing password for 120 odd days potentially?

Obviously we will be doing testing on this but I wondered if anyone could give me any headsup on the effects it will have as I can't really find any info about changing the parameters, just how to set them up initially.

Thank you,

Daniel

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

steverumsby
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

The system does not store the next password change date, but rather the last password change date. Password expiry is calculated by subtracting the last change date from "today" and comparing to the parameter you mention.

So changing that parameter from 42 to 90 will simply extend everyone's password life by 48 days.

Steve.

daniel_piggott-genge
Participant
0 Kudos

Thank you for that.  Now you've said it I realise I did know that really but on the spur of the moment had forgotten.  Thank you for clarifying.

Daniel

Answers (0)