cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DXC where embedded BW is being used

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi folks!

Am new to HANA so trying to learn the application. I have a question related to DXC. So as I understand, DXC mechanism uses embedded BW for scheduling and monitoring data loads into HANA from ECC. It is correct that typically this embedded BW is not being utilized at clients but question is that where it is being used, how does this DXC setup change? I would be reactivating business content for datasources that may already be in use in production. Is this activation/reaction step handled differently in that scenario?

Thanks so much!

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

tomas-krojzl
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

first let's speak about the code - it is very likely that the code is already in your system as it was delivered by SP - but it is not activated.

How does it work in short - it is simply tricking embedded BW to store extracted data into SAP HANA instead of BW PSA by using secondary database connection.

Now how it is activated - by performing configurations where you specify what should be "tricked" and redirected into SAP HANA - everything? particular source system? just some cubes?

There are logical restrictions coming from this concept - if you decided to redirect some cubes, /source system or everything then it cannot be stored in PSA anymore so "normal" features of BW are disrupted.

As you mentioned embedded BW is normally not used so this should not be big deal. If customer is concerned about this then there is option to use another system meeting requirements (can be practically any NW based system - dedicated system, existing BW with same limitations, solution manager, etc.)

I hope this answers your question. If not - them please specify what is missing...

Tomas

BenedictV
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Tomas,

I didnt fully understand the second part of your answer.

i.e  "If customer is concerned about this then there is option to use another system meeting requirements"

1. Can you elaborate a bit on how a replication can be achieved if the embedded BW is already in use?

Thanks,

Benedict

rindia
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

DXC is data acquisition method in which the extraction process bypasses the normal data flow and sends data from the SAP Business suite system to SAP HANA using HTTP and provides the foundational data models.

As of now SPS 05, we can utilize scheduling and monitoring features only but not other aspects such as storing data, reporting BI or data warehousing.

In order to use DXC, configuration settings are required in HANA, ECC and embedded BW.

For more details, please refer to the document  here which explains step by step process (require authorized S ID)

Regards

Raj