cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extracting Data from a SQL ASA Adaptive Server Anywhere 8.0 database

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am working to extract data for a client from an unsupported piece of software that utilized the Adaptive Server Anywhere 8.0 database engine.  However, I cannot seem to find an ODBC driver that will work for me.  I have the version 11 driver available, but I get an error when attempting to access this file like Unable to start specified database.  The database was created with a different version.

Can someone point me to where I can get an ODBC driver for Version 8?  Or otherwise clue me into how I might get access to this database?

Thanks in advance!

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

markmumy
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Matthew,

If you have the SQL Anywhere 8 database and server software, the drivers are included in that software.  Do you have the Version 8 server software?

Can you explain a bit more what you are trying to do?  Do you have Version 8 of the server software?  If not, that is needed to start the database engine.  If not, just giving you an ODBC driver won't help as you must have the server software to start the database file.

Our drivers should be backward compatible and allow you to connect.  You won't have all the same features and newer drivers will have more capability, but you should be able to connect and run an extraction.

Mark

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mark,

I was actually able to get this figured out.  I did NOT have the server software available at that time.  I was able to get it installed by locating an installation disc for the software that we were trying to extract from.  After some trial and error (figuring out that it wouldn't work on a 64-bit system) I was able to get it working.

It's unfortunate that there really isn't anywhere to find the version 8 files for download anywhere online (unless my Googling skills have declined of late).

Thanks for your response, but you can go ahead and close this question now.

Regards,

Matt

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Matthew,

Glad to hear that you could resolve this issue.

You can close the question by marking an answer as the "Correct Answer".

Also, FYI if you are hitting issues starting or connecting to SQL Anywhere databases, then you may be interested in the ASA SCN spaces:

http://scn.sap.com/community/sybase-sql-anywhere

SQL Anywhere Developer Center

Thanks

Kind regards,

Andrew

Answers (0)