SAP for Utilities Discussions
Connect with fellow SAP users to share best practices, troubleshoot challenges, and collaborate on building a sustainable energy future. Join the discussion.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple Clients Vs Single Client

0 Kudos

Hi All,

One of our customer wants to add another company in the existing landscape.
There are two possible approaches

1. Add the new company in the same client
  2. Add the new company in a separate client

The advantage is obviously go to with the option 1 as it involves less cost in the infrastructure/multiple implementations across clients.

But there are some problems related to the security aspects etc in this option.

Still the general practise is to add them in separate clients.

Now the question is what are the possible functional/technical issues in going ahead with the option one.

Regards,

4 REPLIES 4

william_eastman
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

And this is a utility company?  If not, then this discussion belongs elsewhere, probably here

regards,

bill.

0 Kudos

This is a utility company. Since I neeed the particular impact from the utility functionality prepective, I have posted under this head

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Indranil

Adding a new company code is pretty standard stuff and this would not normally be an issue - just create the new code and transport it through the landscape.  Of course, you will need to create new security roles and permissions, but that too is standard practice.

We could create a seperate client for this - multi-tenancy - which is becoming more usual for customers who just want payroll, for example.  However this relies on a Global Template being standard as any client-independent customizing and changes to ABAPs will affect all clients and thus any changes need to be carefully controlled.

In terms of performance and memory usage though, and as this is a utility company I'm guessing a sizable system, then using just one SAP client is preferred as there will need to be only one set of buffers for the users.

Hope this is helpful.

Regards,

Graham

0 Kudos

Thanks a lot Graham,

The company code creation is standard one. If there security & governance are in place, we can go ahead with implementing in single client.