cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is SAP portal knowledge a must for working on Webdynpro abap??

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi experts,

Please tell me if it is a must to learn about SAP portal if one is willing to learn Webdynpro for abap.. or let me put it this way how important it is for a person working on Webdynpro abap to know about SAP portal.

Thanks in anticipation.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

No. It depends on what and which kind of applications you will be developing. If your WDAs will be integrated in the portal, portal knowledge comes in handy.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Samuli for your reply. Can you please tell me what specific topics I can concentrate on regarding portal if I intend to learn only as much as required for WD integration with portal. Thanks

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi KP P,

KP P wrote:

Hi experts,

Please tell me if it is a must to learn about SAP portal if one is willing to learn Webdynpro for abap.. or let me put it this way how important it is for a person working on Webdynpro abap to know about SAP portal.

No it is not required.  As of now you are learning Web Dynpro ABAP , so you dont need to learn Portal config details at least in the initial stage.

In fact web dynpro is a UI technology &  your web dynpro application will be the entry point same as tcodes in ABAP programs. The difference is that you can run this application in differen platforms like -

1. In your browser ( IE , Mozilla etc )

2. Embedd in a Portal environment

3. Inside your SAP GUI

4, NWBC

Therefore at a learning stage you dont need to know portal. I suggest to keep focus more on WDA concepts.

Once you become comfortable with the concepts then you can check below things portal related.

a. How to configure wda pplication in portal ( using I-views , many documents are available).

b. How to catch portal events in your WDA application. (sometimes this becomes imp to know)

Cheers ,

Monishankar Chatterjee

manish_bisht5
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi,

No as a webdynpro developer portal knowledge is not a must be requirement,but it will be handy if you know some basic of EP.

from a webdynpro developer prospective you must be aware of  creation IVIEW and integration of web application into IVIEW. Most case a separate portal development team is present who are responsible for handling such issue.

For more help on interrogation of webdynpro with portal please refer to link below :

http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/008fc414-997f-2e10-3899-fd895ec8e...

thanks

Manish

Former Member
0 Kudos

You might have to learn how to create a Transaction I view and assign the webdynpro component to that, that's more than what you might require for Webdynpro and not required in many cases too as there might be  separate POrtal guy doing that job for you.